1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Is it illegal? I can’t say I know.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

City Hall, Courts, and the State Capital here all have metal detectors on the doors. Walking in with long guns and body armor will not work out well.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It wasn’t legally enforceable vis a vis customers. It’s not legal at all, really - it wouldn’t hold up in the Supreme Court - and I doubt the mandate to store employees is enforceable either. (The business owner, on the other hand, can mandate it; it’s their property.)

All kinds of polticians - and I think a great many of them are well-intentioned - are really just making policy up as they go along and hoping people don’t make too much of a fuss about it.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No leadership and no plan: is Trump about to fail the US on coronavirus testing?

But analysts say that without centralized governance and coordination, the national effort remains a competing coalition of state and local outfits hampered by duplicated work, competition for supplies, siloed pursuits of non-transferable solutions and red tape that leaves some labs with testing backlogs and others with excess capacity.

All of which leaves the US without a unified, coherent strategy for testing and contact tracing to contain a virus that does not respect state borders and has already killed more than 60,000 Americans.

Without it, the imminent experiment of reopening the country could be catastrophic, warned Harvard epidemiologist Michael Mina in a conference call with reporters this week.

“My concern is that we’ll end up right where we have been, with major cities having healthcare systems that get overrun quickly because of major outbreaks,” Mina said.

Fred siegle likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Yes, if only there were some sort of interstate agency tasked with the nationwide administration of food and drugs!

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

18-month lockdown nationwide? We have some states that couldn't keep shelter-in-place orders intact for even 31 days. They were so slow to listen to epidemiologists who had experience modeling pandemics that should have guided us, and then they lifted the orders while the infections were still ascending (which is NOT trying to flatten the curve).

Being smart and doing the most prudent things would have required a lot of difficult actions that we didn't even make credible attempts to folllow, such as prioritizing widespread testing and tracking. That is what those epidimiologists who actually understood pandemics and how diseases spread, and had something to offer, were recommending.

But their actual knowledge gets treated with disdain, like all of this is a belief or a public opinion matter or that the inconvenience of trying to deal with something terrible that is largely out of our control is a partisan plot of some sort to inconvience or hurt people.

People make up time frames that they expect the virus to conform to, and even with that, you have no understanding of how flattening the curve would have ideally worked (which was simple conceptually) if your new exaggeration is "18-month lockdown nationwide."

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Spartan Squad likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

https://nypost.com/2020/04/29/who-lauds-sweden-as-model-for-resisting-coronavirus-lockdown/

I think there’s a perception out that Sweden has not put in control measures and just has allowed the disease to spread,” Ryan told reporters. “Nothing can be further from the truth.”

Ryan noted that instead of lockdowns, the country has “put in place a very strong public policy around social distancing, around caring and protecting people in long-term care facilities.”

“What it has done differently is it has very much relied on its relationship with its citizenry and the ability and willingness of its citizens to implement self-distancing and self-regulate,” Ryan said. “In that sense, they have implemented public policy through that partnership with the population.”

He said the country also ramped up testing and had adequate capacity in hospitals to handle any outbreaks.

“I think if we are to reach a new normal, Sweden represents a model if we wish to get back to a society in which we don’t have lockdowns,” Ryan said.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trump’s Latest Attack on Sweden Revives Covid-19 Controversy

Sweden's coronavirus death rate is nearly double that of the U.S., Trump says country is 'paying heavily' for not imposing a lockdown

Shocking chart shows Sweden’s death rate skyrocketing above its neighbours

No, Sweden Isn’t a Miracle Coronavirus Model

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Inevitable that the last opinion piece on Sweden quoted Kierkegaard. LOL

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

misterbc likes this.
  10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Putin making a late charge to overtake the US for worst-managed crisis!

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The US has conducted nearly double the number of tests per 1 million or people than Sweden does, FYI. Sweden’s death rate is higher too.

So then I looked up the State by State models and found Sweden has a lower test rate - and death rate - than...Georgia.

So maybe the WHO likes what Georgia is doing?

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Considering there is, you know, a VACCINE for the flu, I think its numbers hold up damn well. We gonna be fine with tens of thousands of COVID-19 deaths every year AFTER a vaccine, like we have with flu?

Draft saved Draft deleted