1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Nomad's Canteen, a bar & grill in San Clemente, reopened Friday and was packed. My daughter and her boyfriend drove past just to take a look. Boyfriend works for the local weekly newspaper, so he had a legit reason to at least check it out. They didn't get out of the car. Lots of people were drinking on the patio. Of course, that is an essential activity. Very few masks, lots of MAGA hats. The owner was shown on the news talking with a couple of law enforcement officers, who walked away. He said that people line up to get into Costco and Walmart. To him, there is no difference. He said he would pay a fine then sue the governor and the state.

Coronavirus: San Clemente Restaurant Reopens In Defiance Of Stay-At-Home Orders

Another thing from last night. Trump saying they are "very close" to having a vaccine. Then adding, "We should have it by the end of the year." His definition of "very close" is different than mine.
    Like somebody posted upthread, this must tie in to his re-election hopes.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's in a post from a (supposedly) CostCo employee on wearing masks.

Given the style of writing, it must be a CostCo employee getting a MFA or something. (Which, no doubt, happens.) The staccato writing, the one-word sentences...your everyday stocker doesn't write like that and wouldn't think to - and certainly wouldn't think "hmm...in the many rights I could list in this non-sequitor graf of political orthodoxy, let me think of, oh, yeah, partner consent for tubal ligation, which federal courts outlawed 40 years ago."

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Do it.

4. Neutral Corner

Let them wear kilts and enjoy their freedom that way. I do. It's cooler.

BTExpress and HanSenSE like this.
  5. Neutral Corner

tapintoamerica likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Damn right. If I die after doing so, that will be my sacrifice out of duty to my country, not Mnuchin's bullshit.

OscarMadison and Fred siegle like this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Pull their liquor and restaurant licenses. End of that nonsense.

As to vaccines, that's just more happy talk BS from Twitler.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

twitter is for doom not happy talk i thought they kicked the rest of us off for not being cool now i can log on and support our president with some coronavirus positivity

poindexter likes this.
  9. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Yeah, but Alma's like most republicans in that:
    1. Most deny they are republican
    2. They don't give a single shit about anyone other than themselves.

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I just had a conversation with my cousin. He's not a Trumper. I'd say he voted for him, but I've never actually heard him mentioned Trump. The guy is a freakin engineer but prone to go down the Facebook and conspiracy rabbit hole.
    Anyway, he just told me where he saw where the CDC just lowered the number of deaths to 37,000 so it really isn't that bad. I said no you didn't unless something drastic had changed in the last 10 minutes since I last looked at USA Today and Google News. I'm pretty sure I would have gotten an alert on that. Then he goes on to talk about how (news sites) don't have all the real information.
    I just scratched my head and moved along.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

My brother has become a Trump cult member. This is what he emailed me on Saturday:

Here is the most update chart from the CDC, the percentages continue to hold true

Provisional Death Counts for Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19):

“When the true morbidity and mortality stats are revealed and they're compared to past, recent viral outbreaks, the Wuhan virus debacle will be shown to be the most destructive attempt to sway an upcoming election in American history.”

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They don't, but the conspiracy and coverup are going in the other direction.

Draft saved Draft deleted