1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "The Last Dance" Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PCLoadLetter, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Saw episode 6, missed No. 5.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I'll have to side a little bit with Poindexter on the Nike thing. This is just personal experience, but when my friends and I were 11-12 years old in 1980 and starting to understand brand status, we were all about the Nikes and people were always bragging about them when they wore them to the schoolyard. Granted, we weren't yet to the point where Nike was selling $120 sneakers.
    I'll agree Converse was the top brand in the NBA before Jordan, and Jordan catapulted Nike to an unbelievable level, but the suggestion that Nike was just some upstart in the early '80s is something I don't agree with. It was definitely one of the top three with Converse and Adidas the few years before it went into the stratosphere.

FileNotFound likes this.
  3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The best part last night was late in the 1998 season, and Jordan was hustling the guys out of practice to go play golf. I mean literally dragging them to the bus.

A news crew gets a hold of Pippen to ask him a few questions, near the bus. Jordan is in the bus driver seat and lays on the bus horn HONNNNNNNNNNNNNNK and it drowns out the Pippen interview, so he can effectively end the interview and get on the bus.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Loved the part from Falk where NIKE wanted them to be at $3,000,000 in sales after 4 years.
    They sold $126,000,000 in the first year.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yeah I went "sheeet"

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That was insane.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The 1992 team probably would have been along the lines of:
    Shaq
    Mourning
    Laettner
    Penny
    Webber
    Mashburn
    Hurley
    Jimmy Jackson
    Harold Miner
    LaPhonso Ellis
    Tom Gugliotta
    Walt Williams

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Calbert Cheaney over Miner.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I actually had Cheaney in that spot but Miner was a senior that spring before 1992 and a first-team All-America who put up a bunch of points and I think they would honor that to put him on the team.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

How great is it to see photos of Jordan reading the newspaper. Back when the newspaper was full-size, too.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Can’t wait to see how many seconds are devoted to his father being murdered over his gambling debts.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My favorite part of last night was the blond-permed security guard who kicked Jordan's ass at the quarter-pitching game they were playing in a back room of the United Center. Dude won a couple of games and took maybe $100 off of Jordan. Jordan then slumps down in a chair and says, "Man, go guard the United Center or something."
    You could tell Jordan was trying to be cool about it, but you could also tell from his body language that he was pissed. He looked like he just missed a game-winning shot in a playoff game.

Draft saved Draft deleted