1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how crowded places are going to be ... beaches notwithstanding. I do believe that some of the restaurant/bar openings will be heavily policed, and that there is not an appetite for anyone to go into a heavily crowded space. Places are going to get shut down if things go back to "business as usual." The whole conversation about this is so extreme on one side or the other. It's either stay the fuck home or open everything up. The phased approach set forth by Virginia's governor seems like a reasonable middle ground. Take three weeks or so with very limited openings -- 10 people to a bar/restaurant, no hair care without an appointment, etc.--and see where we stand.

Here's the thing, too. There has not been a gigantic spike of cases here, though I wouldn't be surprised if there was one, just due to the ramp up in testing. And though people have been staying home, I wouldn't say we're social distancing all-stars. Still a lot of people in the grocery store or in parks and on trails.

Read an interesting story on Yahoo from a guy who went to the gym in Missouri the day it opened back up. Had his spray bottle with him, wiping down everything, etc. He said it was more of an unnerving experience than he expected. I guess if I went back to the gym, I would limit myself totally to machines because there are only so many touchpoints -- the handles, the seat, armrest, weight stack. You start going with free weights, and there are so many other variables, wiping down every weight you come in contact with, etc. It's going to be an interesting few months. I want to get out, but I don't want to put myself in a position where I'm in a huge throng of people, which actually would be "back to normal" for me anyway.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I played my first coronavirus-era round of golf on Sunday, it felt really effing good to be out. The guy in the pro shop took money behind a big plastic shield and there were no ball washers/water jugs/bunker rakes on the course, but outside that it wasn't a big deal. Social distancing wasn't hard -- me and two friends teed off and holed out together, and in between we were all over the place. Amateurs!

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This is a loss for the NYT. I don’t get it.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have a short hand rake used to clean gutters. I could clean it up and put it in the bad for raking when and if I get to play again.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Most supers are saying to just rake the sand with your foot as best as possible after hitting out of bunkers.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The biggest hotspots nationwide are meat packing plants, where workers “fell prey” to needing to work because they are relatively poor, relatively unaware of the dangers of the disease and, in at least some cases, sending some of what they make back to family in another country.

That’s the issue. Not an open beach or your dopamine.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That’s quite a graph. The % growth from 1 to 2 is greater than the % growth from...never mind. Yeah, let’s use that graph. I’ll graph the year over year % growth of Bill Belichick’s career win Total, in which we discover his finest work was done in Cleveland.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Thank god those brown folks ain’t ever out and about roaming around their community, coming into contact with the good, old white folks like us, amirite @Alma?

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Preprint paper, not yet peer reviewed, getting tons of side-eye from Virology Twitter. I would be wary of hyping this too quickly.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted