1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

As one poster used to say, you are responding to an imaginary post.

My heart grieves for these communities. They can’t stop working - or at least feel they can’t. They have been exploited for decades - including now. And they largely being ignored even in this moment.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Doom gets hyped, my man. NYT did it today.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The contract tracing studies that have been done indicate not too surprisingly that the primary means of transmission is close and repeated transmission opportunities and that therefore the primary transmission occur between family members and next among persons living and/or working in close conditions, like factories, health care facilities, nursing homes, etc. The social status of victims is irrelevant except why they must live/work in such conditions. Meat packing plants are such a condition in Iowa for example, but the offices of NYC investment banks was an early source of many infections there.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Schools require kids have their measles, etc. shots to go to school. How's that gonna work w/o covid vaccine?

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Russian doctors seem to be awfully clumsy.

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

hmmmmmmm so chilling but you're right if bill had leveled off at 6/16 wins per regular season it would be the same as if he leveled off at 13/16 wins per regular season sure it would slow his progression to an undefined career win total but he would catch shula eventually if he lived to be 137 years old so it doesn't really matter if we test the us population at a steady state of 250000 tests per day we'll get there eventually

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    i am hype for this lfg

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

So the talk about how shitty people are for wanting to go outside is a little dumb yeah?

BTExpress, daemon and Jerry-atric like this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

so IHME just updated their model

uh oh

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

A Bar Mitzvah in Westchester county in New York in February may have set off widespread infection in a particular area. If New York had shut down Bar Mitvahs and done nothing else to try to mitigate what epidemiologists said was coming, it would have been a kindergartner's response.

There have been outbreaks in meat packing plants. And the virus still doesn't know a meat packing plant from a sports arena from a wedding celebration from a pub from a crowded beach. ... or from any gathering of people that provides it a fertile ground.

What it does know is people interacting with each other in ways that foster transmission.

FWIW, it's much easier to correlate an outbreak to a meat packing plant than it is to a crowded beach, because the meat packing plant requires very little tracing (something we never prioritized, anyhow) to establish the contacts between infected people. A crowded beach has relative strangers who then go their separate ways after they infect each other and nobody links where the infections occurred.

I have no idea why you did that thing you do, where you create simplistic narratives to try to dismiss realities like they are ideological arguments. In this case, you pulled two words out of my post, put quotation marks around them, and then worked it into your narrative about meat packing plants, and only meat packing plants, being the focal point of the pandemic.

What I said was that I believe people are acting stupidly, allowing impulse (thus what I said about dopamine-driven decision making) to drive their decision making. The problem, which I again believe, is that by the time longer-term consequences of those decisions work their way into those peoples' reasoning, the ability to try to mitigate those consequences will have been squandered. That is the nature of a viral outbreak and a lot of people keep refusing to accept it.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    Spartan Squad and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted