1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Spot. On.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I suspect I am in a place that has been hit harder than where you are, and for no one has "STAY THE FUCK HOME!!!!" translated into anything other than. ... well, what you described.

People are still shopping for groceries, wearing masks, waiting on lines, keeping a distance. They are heading outside to exercise, keeping distance as best they can. In my case, it's been at 5:15 am to avoid other people. People get takeout food. And they limit the amount of time away from home as much as possible.

STAY THE FUCK HOME!!! meant that in a viral pandemic in which infections are still rising, people need to stay away from each other to the greatest degree possible. It makes no sense for restaurant dining rooms or bars to have a lot of people in them. It makes zero sense for office buildings to be full. Barbershops, nail salons, massage parlors, or any place that puts people in close contact with each other, make zero sense. Bowling alleys, sports stadiums, crowded parks, college classrooms, beaches, etc. and other places where spread is likely to be cultivated, zero sense.

I have no idea where this narrative about indefinite lockdowns lasting for years has come from. This has been about reacting quickly, trying to buy time, and with whatever time we could buy, trying to do smart things to try to minimize the aggregate damage this was going to do.

I have seen something different than what you are talking about. First, I read @Batman's post about how angry people are, how difficult it has been economically and psychically, what our leaders are "asking us" to do, etc. What I didn't see in the posts were the words "virus" or "pandemic," or why the lockdown has been in place, and for what purposes.

From the beginning, various places squandered time by resisting lockdowns. I get it. Nobody has been relishing this. Then, from the minute they went into effect, the arbitrary timetables started. Easter, May 1, etc. rather than reacting to things as they are evolving.

As long as that is the attitude, I fear that we are dooming ourselves to making the toll worse than is necessary. Not just the death toll, which is almost certainly going to be higher as a result of people starting to engage in higher-risk behavior while the number of infections is still increasing. But also, the economic toll, which also runs the risk of being worse if there is a panic if things get worse now as a result, or if people's expectations are that we are "opening up," and we end up shutting down again.

There was never a perfect aggregate response. What there was, though, was making decisions in a reasoned way based on the best risk-reward calulations we could do.

I have seen way too litle of that, unfortunately.

We have gotten a hodge podge of hopeful thinking, arbitrary deadlines and pretending like thousands of deaths a day is no big deal.

Unfortunately, it started from the top. It was contained. It was a hoax. Easter. Even as we have this discussion:

Coronavirus Live Updates: As Threat of Virus Persists, Trump Administration Signals It Will Wind Down Task Force

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Interesting point in a story I read today about restaurants ... many servers/bartenders/etc. don't want them to reopen. They're making far more money from unemployment, and those restaurants won't be able to match that $800 a week. Also, the approval of the whole PPP thing was a backwards clusterfuck. It needed be done before restaurants started laying people off.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Good post, and yes, to your point, you live in a place that's been hit far harder than us, for sure.

I think people here are equating "re-opening" to full, business as usual, which couldn't be farther from the truth. We're still going to be socially distanced. We're not going to baseball games. We're not loading up nightclubs and bars. And that's where some of the panic is coming from, this fear that everything is going to go back to where it was at the end of February. It isn't. We're months and months away from that, and that's only if everything goes well. There's a lot of wiggle room to go back after a phase one opening if things go awry.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They don’t want restaurants to reopen because they don’t want to get sick.

Restaurant owners are pretending it’s because they can’t match the unemployment and are screaming loudly that they can’t match the unemployment, which is a handy way for them to ignore the fact that they pay poverty wages.

You want people to work for you? Fine. Pay a living wage.
    You unable to keep your business operating while paying a living wage? Too bad.
    You don’t want to pay a living wage because you want to pocket the money and buy a Lexus instead of a Corolla? OK, you can fuck off.

FileNotFound likes this.
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

We keep hearing "If you don't want to go out, stay home. But don't stop me from going out."

The problem is, those same people want to force servers and hair stylists and others to go out to fill their needs. So if a waitress is told to come back to work or lose her benefits even if she's would prefer to stay home, she is forced to go out.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

We’ve reached the point in our story where #NoLivesMatter. We just shrug our shoulders when people get gunned down in large numbers on the weekly. Coronavirus is now that. Give our thoughts and prayers to the nursing home oldies and the guy I coughed on last week, but really, fuck ‘em.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

No, the risk is not “getting sick for a couple of weeks.”

The risk is dying. This one will kill and does kill, and it does so in horrible terrible ways.

OscarMadison and tapintoamerica like this.
  10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Translation: "I disagree with a qualified medical professional's opinion because, though I have next to no experience in analyzing medical data or experience with viruses, I do have a financial stake in minimizing that person's expertise and utilizing my platform to spread my admittedly uneducated disinformation for the benefit of my pocketbook."

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I'm trying and failing to find it, but there was a piece done suggesting the push to reopen the economy is a new plantation system. There is no reason why some people are demanding to reopen the economy other than they want the poor, often minorities, to serve them again.

This whole "we can't give into fear" nonsense is just another dog whistle because conservatives really, really don't want to help the poor in any meaningful way. Their plan is demand the poor go back to work so the rich can continue to make money. If a few brown people drop dead, it's just the cost of doing business.

OscarMadison, tapintoamerica and MTM like this.
  12. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

But all restaurant owners are not “rich,” right? It seems like for every restaurant that succeeds, five fail. They are probably richer than their employees, though.

BTExpress likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted