1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "The Last Dance" Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PCLoadLetter, Apr 19, 2020.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

I can't reconcile...

The greatest competitor ever
    All about winning
    Wasn't enough to win, he wanted to step on your throat
    "Never freakin' turned it off"

with

This is too much, I'm good, time to play baseball

Tweener likes this.
  2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Pippen was a 3/4 in international basketball at the time - Thomas is pretty clearly a 1. So if you're looking for who got on the team over him, it's probably Stockton or Drexler. Pippen probably wasn't even the last SF chosen - it was probably Chris Mullin.

Tweener likes this.
  3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Pippen was the first player the committee wanted after Magic, Bird and MJ. He wasn’t the last anything.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Ultimately Stockton is the guy who really took Isaiah's Dream Team spot. Same position and Isaiah was much better... but people didn't hate Stockton like they hated Isaiah.

And I'll fault Krause all day for not bringing that team back after 1998... but no sympathy for Scottie on that contract. He wanted it, he got it, he signed it, and then he whined about it.

Tweener likes this.
  5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I’m pretty sure Drexler was the verrrrry last pick and it wasn’t solidified until his performance in the Tournament of the Americas which were held in Portland at Memorial Coliseum.

6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Apparently MJ rode Drexler hard in the Dream Team practices until Drexler went to Magic and Magic asked Jordan to chill out on him.

7. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

On all the Pippen contract stuff, why hasn't this been mentioned yet ...

Maybe this will come up later when the the doc gets to 93-94 and Jordan playing baseball, but I recall Pippen sitting out when he wasn't called up on to get the last shot in a playoff game against the Knicks in '94. The play was drawn up for Kukoc, and Pippen took himself out of the game. Kukoc made the shot (although the Knicks ended up winning the series). It was one brief moment, but you can't tell me that that didn't resonate in the front office, even after MJ came back and they started winning titles again.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Jordan is very good to Pippen in this documentary.

Pippen was insecure -- for a lot of legitimate reasons. Late bloomer, family health. He grew into a great player, but caused a lot of problems in Houston and Portland when Jordan was not around to keep him in line.

Tweener likes this.
  9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Chuck Daly should have gone to the selection committee and said, "Get rid of fucking Laettner and put Isiah on, or get yourself another coach."
    And if that was turned down, say, "Fine. Laettner will never set foot on the court."

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I thought that his dad's death had a lot to do with the baseball decision. We'll find out for sure on Sunday.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

They kept an "amateur"/college player on the team because that was what previous Olympic teams were consisted of and they didn't want to completely upset was was the previous precedence.

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Still waiting to hear from Muggsy Bogues or LeBradford Smith.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted