1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Let the interns handle it!

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I don't think you got that last one. I wasn't making any comment at you; I was referring to general media cliches.
    Just once, I want to hear of a "white-ribbon committee" or the "desirable" 18-34 demographic.

Fred siegle likes this.
  3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

And a week after being arrested it would have been legal to open again. Just stupid, stupid people.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

In just two months, if you had isolated the coronavirus to a single location, it (so far) would have killed off the largest city in: Vermont, West Virginia, Wyoming, Maine or Delaware

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Her lawyer, on the other hand ...

Spartan Squad likes this.
  10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Holy shit - clicked and read, and you're not underselling it.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I would guess because it's so prevalent in middle/rural America.

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

I'd also like to see some estimate of how much different activities contribute to the danger of contagion. Somebody has to have some sort of index that counts the number of times a day the average person in a group is in the various combinations of prolonged or brief contact, close or distant contact, indoor or outdoor contact, etc., with X number of people and figures up the contagion risk of that daily exposure, and then looks at how allowing certain activities changes the contagion risk. I assume that the things that drive contagion risk are mostly things like working close to others indoors, large group gatherings (especially indoors), and riding subways or buses, and that brief interactions between two people don't contribute much to overall group contagion risk. Getting a haircut puts two people close together for a while, but it's only two people, and it seems like even a bunch of two-person 20-minute contacts doesn't generate as much overall contagion risk as one 30-minute meeting of 10 people that is basically 45 (9+8+...+2+1) different two-person contacts between the 10 people. Of course that also depends on whether being across a conference table from someone is much safer than being right next to them, or if in an indoor setting it's just about as dangerous.

I believe it's the r-number that measures contagion according to how many people each infected person passes the virus to. What I'm interested in is basically how much each type of activity contributes to the r-number. Knowing that would give us a much better handle on which activities are really dangerous and which are the first ones that should be allowed when opening up.

Cosmo and Jerry-atric like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted