1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

upload_2020-5-6_23-53-58.jpeg

2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

4. Equalizer

Equalizer Member

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Joshua wanted some likes on Twitter, as the second part of his argument is so intellectually dishonest it boggles the mind.

Look: one can quibble with when a given state should reopen. I personally think it’s too early in places. But, even if it was a month down the road, when it happens...some people will tragically pass away.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

All this time I thought the goober getting his hair cut in Macon was the reason everyone's gonna die. :eek:

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I mean, this is pretty damning.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The innumeracy of the American media, and America in general, has been a huge problem since long long before the virus began.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

An outlet with the resources of the Times has to have data journalists and editors who should flag bad use of stats. It just has to.
    Measurement of growth has to be about more than case counts. It’s % of tests that come back positive. And it should be a seven-day average. Day to day figures can be silly when many states seem to devote one day a week to releasing only positive test results.

11. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

The Times’ graphs use a seven-day average for the trend line.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

When a guy who deals in numbers questions the motives of the journalists, he's saying they should know better and, more to the point, they do know better. Hence the line about the error being so basic.

Draft saved Draft deleted