1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) It's an Axios story. It's not "the media's" story. If you want to question something someone from Axios wrote, question it.
    2) James Surowiecki is a really smart and good reporter and writer, and what he tweeted is true. It also didn't say, nor does he think, that the number of tests would wholly account for the increased cases. It's a possible factor that should have been included in what that story did. It makes that story just bad.
    3) What Nate Silver tweeted does that same, "the media" thing that rides right to the line of people using sweeping generalizations to try to invalidate everything they don't like by calling it "fake news." The media is not a monolithic entity. There are good reporters and good outlets, and there are bad ones. Everything isn't coordinated. Even good media sources are sometimes inaccurate or make mistakes. If you want to call that story innacurate, you have a really good point, but when you create one of your narratives about agendas and act like you are invalidating every news story or media outlet with the blanket generalization, it's bullshit. You I don't know about. But Nate Silver should know better. Next time he makes a mistake or puts up something that proves inaccurate, rather than calling out the inaccuracy, someone might question his motives or do a sweeping, "fake news" generalization because of the level of idiocy that is now the norm in this country.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Bookmarked ...

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He and his ilk are the ones who are going to speed the spread up in that part of the country.

It was always going to come here and get around and a big chunk of that was going to come through New York. The added focus on talking about the spread from New York is certain folks trying to put the blame somewhere other than the White House.

4. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

New York appears to be one of the hardest-hit areas, probably due to population density and perhaps mismanagement.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

An enormous percentage of travelers to and from the US and Europe do so through JFK. The alleged connection between Iowa and NY in the virus stems from an infected cruise ship in Egypt whose Iowan passengers flew through, well, you guessed it.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I know that. I do. I'm operating in the "more true than not" area here, and I think it is more true than not that the press slants hard in one direction politically, there is a currently a political divide on whether or not to reopen certain parts of the nation, and I believe - and maybe I am wrong, I could be wrong, I have been wrong, I will be wrong again - it has an effect on the reporting. We increasingly live in a "smaller" Internet-shaped universe that flattens out regional and local flavors - just see the death of local news - for a national lens that is predominantly liberal, predominantly driven by the values of people who live in big cities, in which certain media reporters seem to have a slate of values and questioning those values is akin to media apostasy. The exception is always in the room, I know, and you're the kind of person who wants to explore that, and you're welcome to.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It was definitely mismanaged in NY.

From what they are figuring out now, it was spreading through NYC and the area nearby, well before most people had any clue how prevalent it was. The strain came from Europe and now it is the dominant strain, by a lot, in the US, meaning that NY and people who visited NY brought it to other places. NY is a place that a ton of tourists go through. In hindsight, it's not surprising that it came early and it has gotten hit the way it has.

There are some people arguing negligence, in that NY didn't shut things down and send sirens out to the population quickly enough, but we are talking February and early March and it was one of the first places in the US under seige. Whether you want to give officials in the state a pass or not, nobody else, except Washington State, has that excuse of, "Who could have seen it coming?"

8. Michael_ Gee

PS: The two main initial sources of the virus in Massachusetts were that Biogen conference, where people came from all over, and tourists, including school groups, returning from travel in Italy.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

10. Michael_ Gee

Older people are more likely to be homebound. Poorer people are more likely to live in multigenerational households, thereby making transmission almost a certainty if anyone in the house has the virus. This is one reason why Asian countries adopted central quarantine in which those with symptoms or positive tests were isolated from everyone except medical personnel and staff of the quarantine facilities.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Guess you should be governor, then. Not "shocking" to you. :)

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

A real live actual Corona Counter would be good to link to, kinda like the old Magic Number counters you used to be able to link to.

Draft saved Draft deleted