1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

One of the bars (beer pub, actually) is talking about putting a large tent in their parking lot, which can only accommodate five cars as it is, when they can reopen. They also have two huge garage doors that they can open that lets a ton of fresh air inside. I'd definitely feel a lot more comfortable with sitting outside on a patio or in a situation like this than inside of a restaurant itself.

Cary Street in Richmond's Carytown would be a great place to try the experiment. It's all businesses, no residences, and there are at least four other east-west routes to get through the city. Close the whole thing down to traffic from Nansemond to Boulevard and make it an outdoor pedestrian area. Restaurants could set up extended, spaced out seating in the streets if need be.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Starting as much economic activity as possible outdoors seems to be a common sense way to mitigate although certainly not eliminate the danger of the virus

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

India agrees.

[​IMG]

4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

My town just OK'd restaurants and retail using their parking lots for this.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

RNC releases their plan for economic recovery. I'd forgotten how devastating a short film could be. Ed Begley Jr. debut (he plays the teen who stumbles at the box). Just 18 minutes and it doesn't just pack a punch, but says a lot along the way. "Hurry up, now"

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    2muchcoffeeman and garrow like this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I took the dogs for a walk after dinner last night in my suburban LA town. Somewhere between the elementary school and the local park, I encountered an 11-12 year old girl riding her bike. Wearing a mask, but not wearing a helmet.

Knowing what we know about the virus on May 7, 2020, if you are a parent and could only send your kid out with either a mask or a helmet to ride her bike, which would you chose?

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

That sounds extremely low. To hit herd immunity means up to 65-70% will have to be infected and recovered. That’s about 220 million Americans. A death rate of 2% means 4.4 million dead, and the rate will probably be higher once the health care system is overwhelmed for good.

9. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

The helmet.

Inky_Wretch and Neutral Corner like this.
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I take it you haven't had many 11-12 year old daughters in your life?

Mom/Dad: Stay home.
    Kid: You're not the boss of me.
    Mom/Dad: When you sneak out, put your mask and helmet on
    Kid: You're not the boss of me.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

My only daughter is 26 now. I remember the days and fights over helmets.

I just laughed thinking about the thought process (if any) that went into wearing a mask and not a helmet.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

One messes up the hair, which is hard to fix. One messes up the lip gloss, which was going to be re-applied a 100 times anyway.

Besides, the mask is the latest fashion accessory.

Draft saved Draft deleted