1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

It's different when Republicans lie.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It is extremely hard not to see someone doing something very stupid that they have been repeatedly warned not to do without feeling a certain satisfaction in the idea that they'll eventually suffer the consequences. Yes, ill-wishing someone with "I hope you catch a possibly fatal disease" feels bad afterwards... but I've been guilty of it. It's like saying "You better use an oven mitt when you grab that pot handle, it's really hot" and then watching the idiot burn himself because he wouldn't listen. Serves him right.

So I think it, or occasionally say it, secure in the knowledge that what I said about it had nothing to do with whether he catches Corona or not. I'm not accepting that guilt, it isn't on me, it's the consequences of his behavior and decisions.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Earlier, Bloomberg was reporting that another White House aide tested positive, and as a result the plane for the trip Mike Pence is taking was delayed by an hour and a half and they were pulling people off the plane, probably to test them.

I was thinking about Pence and Trump refusing to wear masks (apparently in the West Wing, too), and the endless bullshit in which they deliberately misinform the public and try to undersell what is happening, and I had a pang of, "I hope the fucker gets it."

I felt bad for thinking it. I don't want to be the guy who is wishing something potentially deadly on someone else. I do find them morally bankrupt and deplorable. But that isn't it entirely. I'd have a much easier time not having an initial thought like I had, if they were taking the threat seriously, setting an example, wearing masks when they are around others, and acting as if they trying to avoid getting infected, as well as trying to set an example to get the large percentage of brain dead people in this country to act smartly. Then it would be, "Nobody deserves to get this," even those assclowns.

I think they have done immeasurable harm. They are going to responsible for more deaths than were necessary when the final toll is counted. A part of me does have that thought, "Maybe if one of them gets it, some people will start to take it more seriously."

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    OscarMadison likes this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

If Trump gets the COVID and survives it, he’ll go around bragging that he’s Superman and it’s just a bad cold, and he’ll be an order of magnitude more insufferable. So I for one hope he doesn’t get it.

Webster likes this.
  6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I may start to view this like I view horrible NASCAR wrecks that cause serious injuries. I hope the victim makes a full recovery but learns something from it. In the driver's case, maybe that means getting out of the sport. In the case of elected officials, maybe it means being scared straight so they stop ignoring or otherwise facilitating the problem.

9. tapintoamerica

#CuckAlert

BitterYoungMatador2 and garrow like this.
  10. tapintoamerica

Exactly. That would be the worst thing. Many people -- particularly those in the older demographics -- might see the error of their ways. Not this guy.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

As staged as him walking out of the 49ers-Colts game over Kaepernick.

garrow likes this.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Judging from this comment I ran across on the Vols Deplorables board (tm, @BTExpress), the grievance brigade is turning on Drudge?

Trump can't buy OANN fast enough!

What has happened to Matt Drudge? He's turning into David Brock before our very eyes. His site used to be THE place where one could go to see both the MSM angle and the other side of the story. He was especially good at linking stories that the MSM tried to suppress such as the Lewinsky scandal, the various times the global warmers got caught doctoring data, etc. Obama would claim with a straight face that his administration was the most scandal-free in history and readers and viewers of the MSM wouldn't know differently unless they visited the Drudge Report. Nowadays it's almost entirely just MSM/DNC pro-dem/anti-Trump talking points, especially with the stories he chooses to highlight. The left conquers another institution (and yes, the Drudge Report had become an American institution imo). It's like the site was bought out by Media Matters or MoveOn.org. How sad.

BTExpress likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.