1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm for science.

I'm not for a press release dueling with Rush Limbaugh and throwing out numbers with if/then qualifiers to them.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Absolutely.
    Somebody on Twitter commented last week on the high number of colleges suddenly promising or strongly suggesting they would be on campus in the fall. The announcements coincided with the standard May 1 deadline for acceptance of admissions offers and associated payment of deposits to secure a spot in the class.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Our school district sent a nice, long email today that can be easily summed up as, we have no idea in hell what is going to happen next year! I respect the transparency.

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

We are going to have a treatment before we have a vaccine or nationwide testing.

The Llama story in today’s WAPO makes me more hopeful.

We kickoff the NFL season in January... maybe February. Same with NBA and NHL.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They probably will. "But Tara Reade" is going to be this election's version of "But her emails," one simple point of attack that is easily digestible for the lazy and incurious. Those are the people President Trump relies upon to get votes.

Anybody with any sense will see that President Trump has also been accused of sexual assault. It isn't just one accusation in his case. He also has a long history of terrible behavior with women, including cheating on all three of his wives, bragging about kissing and touching women without permission and using his position in charge of beauty pageants to ogle underage girls in dressing rooms. Anybody with any sense will see that he is the far worse choice for women.

Then they will look at the entire candidate and see that Trump was already a terrible president, then he failed miserably when facing a crisis. The economic growth that was his one selling point is gone. He left the country more vulnerable to the pandemic than how he found it. He failed to prepare when we all knew what was coming. He mislead the public to try to protect his own interests, something he is still doing. He has now abdicated his responsibility, trying to dump everything on the states in an attempt to keep any blame for anything from sticking to him.

It should be an easy choice in November. For all his flaws, Joe Biden as a far superior option, but we've got enough corruption and stupidity in this country to make another Trump victory a real possibility.

SFIND and OscarMadison like this.
  6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I just don't see a good option for school as long as there is no reliable treatment or vaccine. Social distancing is not possible in a school. Young students won't do it. Even older students don't have enough room to do it. Even if schools hired enough teacher to spread students out more, which won't happen, they don't have the space.

Distance learning is not a viable solution. It was one thing to do it for a few months at the end of the school year. By then, the teachers and students know one another. They have more than half the year of established relationships and protocols for work. As difficult as the transition may have been, teachers were at least able to build on those things. Even with that, distance instruction is still going to be significantly less than what students would get in the classroom. Engagement is far more difficult. So is classroom management.

Things will be even more difficult in the fall. Teachers will have an entire new group of students. The relationships won't be there. The expectations won't be in place. You're going to have more older students home alone all day as parents go back to work, which means even more students avoiding work.

I honestly don't know a good solution. Maybe the best is split schools in half and alternate which group of students is in the building each day. That creates more space. Then engage in distance learning the days they are not in the building. The problem there is they would be on their own because their teachers would be busy with the students in the building those days, but it might be the best among shitty options.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We've basically been told we're working remote for the foreseeable future. A friend of mine is a higher-up at Capital One and he was told the same.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Schools better figure out a damn good remote plan if kids can't be in school.

9. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

The one thing people might consider is voting for a third-party candidate, such as the Green Party, as more information comes out about the Biden rape situation I am just saying that is an option for people.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

We may reach herd immunity before any type of vaccine will be ready for the masses. Some type of treatment if developed in time is the only thing that may save lives, and that’s a big if.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Tara Reade's position is shaky. She's changed her story too many times, which just makes it hard for her to be in any kind of forum, let alone a legal one, where she's asked real questions. As for third parties, anyone who votes Green Party or any other such party is happy with Trump but doesn't have the guts to admit it.

Neutral Corner and Matt1735 like this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

How are they gonna play the NFL season starting in January and then play the next one? My guess is they will really try to play without fans, which I don't blame them for doing , then some player will test positive and they'll realize it's all hopeless.

Draft saved Draft deleted