1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Restaurants are still closed to in-person dining. Carry out and delivery only. This one disobeyed orders. It's in a county that has especially tried to resist state orders, but even there it is still the rule. Another restaurant in that same area opened earlier this week and got shut down. Who knows what will happen to this one. The FB page of the owner has all sorts of screw the rules posts.

2. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

The questions on what he meant aside, I too think he was saying just for this Saturday, I have liked Nate Silver giving out different numbers sets often. I like seeing the numbers, as do many which is why it is popular. That said, I am starting to grow more unsure of his different opinions on the numbers. Just because he knows how to poll and put numbers in graphs, I am not sure he knows what numbers and trends with something like this mean. I'm not sure anyone really does, given all the varying levels of modeling success, but this isn't an area he has any expertise. I know it came up a bit a few days ago, but I also like how he bashed the media and its reporting of COVID predictions -- again, why is he more right when he doesn't exactly know what the numbers mean? -- when he is certainly in the media now.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That's a very sobering read about the economic hurdles and hardships that lie ahead.

Don't forget that a huge chunk of our economy is consumer spending. Even if the spread of COVID-19 levels off or decreases (that's a big "IF"), it will probably take years to restore consumer spending to what it was in 2019. Most small businesses can't wait that long.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It’s fascinating to watch Nate Silver fight, on a daily basis, against the Twitter notion that the US is in fact not the worst nation in the world as it relates to the coronavirus.

The contempt Americans - on both sides - have for where they live, it’s going to be a real threat in the long run. And it’s not just a Trump thing. It’s not. It pre-dated him, and it’s gonna last beyond him. We better figure out what we like about ourselves. This level of self loathing is not good for the republic.

Batman likes this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This is not a matter of hating the country. It is a reflection of our political polarization. It is the relationship between what our country appears to be and what people believe it should be. You can think the country sucks right now without hating the country. It’s not unlike fans of a bad team.
    Q: What do you think of the Jets?
    A: They suck. They’re stupid.
    Q: Are you a Jets fan?
    A: Sure. Always will be.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Fred siegle and matt_garth like this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. Alma