1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Who's doing this? You or something? Insistence?

There's a line I like, because it's so true: The exception is always in the room. Generally, you can assert just about anything based on observation and data, but there's always going to be an exception, and that slice of well, actually is often three feet away.

I look at America over the last four years and see and hear the contempt. I'm drawing that conclusion, particularly from the left. (And not necessarily without reason.) I'm inferring it.

If I thought I was hearing and seeing love I wouldn't think what I do.

Now, so long as we're on the note of copping to questioning motives...I think my posts already suggest it, but, yes, I do often question the motives and alarmist nature of the climate change movement. Even if the climate matter was as dire as the alarmists suggest it is, piecemeal solutions that just happen to conveniently double as financial boons for emerging energy markets ain't the answer, especially when some of the same damn people who use their instagram accounts as a global travelogue want to wear climate change as a badge of honor, as if they're accomplishing something.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The moral of the story is the reporter in question - and it's really just some local Ken who likes to act like a lefty tough - had a moral to the story.

Chain restaurants, FWIW, are local in the same way local news is local even when it's owned by Gannett. The people there do jobs, get paid for them, and feed their families with them. Sometimes, these people come from backgrounds where they didn't have a mom and dad who floated them a couple hundred grand to start a pine-tree-tasting-beer brewpub at 28 with their three buddies.

OscarMadison, MTM and SFIND like this.
  3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

He only needed to include the last two sentences: Eat local. Don't go to Olive Garden. Unless you are a food reporter in Grand Forks, there's much better places to go.

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  4. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I enjoy Olive Garden but have been trying to support local during the pandemic. Poster Alma makes a good point, though, about the workers.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Fuck. Cranberry might be the capital of the United States of Karen.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

FWIW, I generally agree with this, I just don't personally think, somehow, the people who work at Olive Garden are worth less than brewpub dude.

SFIND likes this.
  7. Regan MacNeil

Am I missing a bunch of tweets insulting Olive Garden employees? Because I didn't see anything in the two that were posted.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

Since Alma seems to be involved in too many fights already, I'll point out that this and the following post about suburban Karens at an Olive Garden seem like examples of the sort of disdain for middle(brow) America that's pretty common on the cultural left. Both chains serve large portions of decent food that lots of people like for reasonable prices. What's wrong with that? (Well, except for the impact on obesity, but the left sends mixed signals as to whether we're allowed to criticize that.)

Never mind, I see Alma is a multitasker.

OscarMadison and Alma like this.
  9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Too lazy to find it, but the no-holds-barred Olive Garden thread — prompted by the North Dakota newspaper that ran a gushing review when it opened there — is one of my all-time favorite SJ threads.

HanSenSE and swingline like this.
  10. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Many people do not believe Olive Garden is a quality restaurant.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I am commenting on the quality of the food. Workers are workers no matter where they work. And owners are owners. We don't know the hoops a local proprietor jumped through to get going and it doesn't matter so long as they are hiring workers and it's them I am supporting.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Regan MacNeil

I do not believe Olive Garden is a quality restaurant. But it'll do in a pinch and I'm not going to insult anyone who eats there.

Applebee's is a different animal. Their food sucks. It always has. There are much better chain restaurant alternatives. And I doubt there are any towns where Applebee's is the only chain.

SFIND likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted