1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You bring up fair points, and I have no problem saying that I am a big fan of Buca Di Beppo and the recently deceased Souplantation.

That said, aim a little higher than this on Mother's Day, for fuck's sake.
    [​IMG]
    Christ almighty, learn at least the most rudimentary cooking skills, so you aren't spending three hours of Mother's Day in the Red Lobster parking lot. If that is disdain of middle america, I'll stand by it.

Fred siegle and HanSenSE like this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Nothing. And Olive Garden customers aren't precisely being attacked for their actual taste in moderately pleasing Italian food, IMO. Rather, Olive Garden is used as a way for people like ol Kev to polish their own progressive resumes for a Twitter audience. So is the Applebee's thing. It's performative narcissism, rooted in a cheap desire to be liked. It's particularly prevalent in both producing pop culture and cultural criticism, where the quality of the art is secondary to whether the art is saying the "right" things, regardless of its quality.

It's more concerning when it bleeds over into news coverage, and it has. It's what Nate Silver has not-so-subtly been harping on for weeks. It's cool to pronounce, on Twitter, doomy, unhopeful news about the coronavirus, to declare you're not eating in restaurants even if you can, to marinate in each moment of government error, to compare it to better-performing nations, to question testing data that reveals positive trends, to publish projections that were never intended for print, to run stories on non-peer-reviewed doom scenarios, etc. That's the mainstream approach, and it attracts, sadly, enough criticism that the real nuts - the Hannitys, the Candace Owens, OAN, this Plandemic nonsense - is seen not for the horsecrap that they are and it is, but counter-programming.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I also feel positively about kittens, but I feel negatively about cat dander.

I Should Coco likes this.
  4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I am appalled that only 64% of the nation is concerned about murder hornets

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It would’ve been higher if they’d polled bees.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

If I have a pick between Olive Garden and Carraba’s I’m taking Carraba’s every time.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

From China’s state media:

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

MileHigh likes this.
  10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

China might have caught up to the US in many fields, but its meme game remains sorely lacking. Its economy had better keep humming because it's having a hell of a time winning friends with charm.
    China 'racist' video on India sparks fury

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The salt of earth Red Lobster customers:

Today was probably the craziest day at red lobster, we had 212 orders at once. People don’t understand how busy we were today. 18 people called me a dumbass. 9 people flipped me off. 13 people told me to hurry the fuck up. 10-15 people said I was slow.
    Last but not at least, 2 people crumbled up a piece of paper and threw it at me. But the good part, around 30 people said that I did a great job. Please don’t order food if you’re gonna be rude. It was a horrible day
    Around 2:35pm a lady screamed at me in front of everyone and I was completely embarrassed

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It was two months ago today that Rudy Gobert tested positive for coronavirus, the NBA shut down and shit got real. Feels like two decades.

Draft saved Draft deleted