1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

lakefront likes this.
  2. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

So I heard a scary thing on the radio last night. I don't know who the host was but he did say "groundzero" a few times. Maybe the name of the show. He is talking about a couple of cops who have quit or were fired for NOT enforcing mask wearing. These guys are heros according to him. Also,of course, go fund me accounts have been set up. He said they should not be made to enforce this mask wearing all in the name of "social togetherness" or something like that. Implying that masks are hurting our social harmony. This is something that a liberal might say and they would under normal times, mock. It seemed like a fake sentiment from this person.

So their reasoning was bad enough but the thing that really, really scared me is something that I have been worried about. These are trump cops. These are cops who are not doing the job that any fair minded, normal, non conspiracy leaning, person would expect and want their police to be doing in the time of a FUCKING PANDEMIC!!

So, along with my grandchildren, whose mom is an ICU RN (who I now have to worry about because of this new thing with kids) and the trump cops out there proving that they will do his bidding above and beyond the good of the country, this is a really scary, crappy, shitty day.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. lakefront

Fat and diabetic are 2 conditions. Anyone here overweight? Or diabetic?

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I would say that it's quite possible everything that host said was pure bullshit. Also, a couple of cops? How many are there in America? Hundreds of thousands at a minimum.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I consider wearing a mask in a store a sign of respect to those who have to work, but that's just me.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not healthy, superbly fit 18-22-year-old men.

I have a better idea . . . :)

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'll say it again: We know where many of the hotspots are at this point.

Where I'll agree is we missed it with protecting meatpacking plants. We should have been better there, closed as many as possible for a day or two in late March/early April, provided the companies financial relief to do so, and outfitted those places the right way to minimize - not eliminate - the spread of the disease. Then, from there, understanding that there is a significant language and cultural barrier in many of those plants, trying to communicate the best we could have.

We just missed it. Lives will be lost, meat production will be cut, and, in many Midwestern states, weeks and months will be wasted because of it.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  8. lakefront

Yep! And everyone bitching to open should direct that (totally understandable) anger at the fucker in the White House. Demand testing. Test everyone who wants to get out to work, if they have they stay home for 2 weeks, if not go out with masks and clean hands. See what happens in a couple weeks. I would also say that during this time the at risk folks (retirees, etc) continue to stay home and out of the way. Keep doing this for a month and see how it goes.

We seem to constantly be talking about getting out and testing but get no plans or action from the idiot. Let's get on with it. He wants to wish it away and day after day we are in this cycle of wasting time.

We have to start telling everyone we see on social media to stop blaming the docs, scientists and officials and aim that rage and protest to the one person who has sat on his fat ass for 3 months (more) saying this will miraculously disappear. We need national leadership for a national disaster. (the disaster being the deaths and those people not in high death areas who are having a hard time in other ways)

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm arguing that the restrictions protect, mostly, the rich. (Rich white people, if we're honest.) For some of the reasons you're mentioning.

Look at the demographics of who's getting it. Look at who's dying. Look at who the restrictions are crushing financially. Look at the stock market, doing just fine, thanks. Look at who will be able to afford meat if the price jumps.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  10. lakefront

Here is some things I found, first the guys name on the radio is Clyde Lewis.

Also, one example. Another was from the end of march from Wapo, that may be a bit outdated, but I will add it.
    Law enforcement associations call on agencies not to enforce Harris County mask requirement
    “The Texas Municipal Police Association, and our members of the local law enforcement associations listed below, in conjunction with the Houston Police Officers' Union and the Harris County Deputies’ Organization, implore you not to instruct, direct or even permit your law enforcement officers to enforce County Judge Hidalgo’s executive order regarding citizens wearing masks during this pandemic,” wrote Kevin Lawrence, executive director of the Texas Municipal Police Association, in a statement.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...be5ed2-6e00-11ea-a3ec-70d7479d83f0_story.html

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Clyde Lewis is the host. Low rent Alex Jones/Art Bell hybrid.

lakefront likes this.
  12. lakefront

I can't help it, I still remember giving my husband the daily death count in China, starting at 50 something. So I worry about little things getting worse. I will be so very happy if it turns out to be just a few cops. But even without the virus I worry that he has cops and military "on his side".

Neutral Corner likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted