1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Cosmo, I guess I am referring specifically to my baseball bar, which is a hard thing to find in this city, and it's more dump than bar.

The kind of place where you'd wash your hands a few times even in a world where COVID was not imaginable.

I would rather just drink in my man cave. Who needs the fuss.

Cosmo likes this.
  2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Of all the things I've hated about being stuck at home, I've found that drinking at home is not one of them. It's way cheaper, I'm experimenting with recipes more, and I don't have to worry about driving or dealing with drunk people I don't know.

Mngwa likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

41arpl.jpg

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Correct; the people who you describe are apparently willing to share portions of their wealth with their community's less fortunate, judging by the way they vote.

5. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Just proud to post on page 666.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What am I being selfish about? You said I think in a selfish way. How's that? (Not saying I don't but how?)

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You devil, you.

8. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I don't think nearly enough tracing is going on. But, I may have misread your original post. Because I'm not interested in anonymous internet wars, or mindless trolling, I apologize for that. I felt like you were putting too much of the onus on the workers who may or may not speak English.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

One issue I find startling is that SF has the highest per capita rate of billionaires in the world and the amount of donations to the COVID relief locally has been startling low (SF Chronicle front page, sfgate.com).

There might be something about the cliche from Dems "let's take YOUR $$ to address this problem".

I don't think its really that but there is something there.

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Me, too!

OscarMadison and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Ok I will admit that inferring you are selfish was unfair and inaccurate. I apologize.

That said, I do believe that your posts frequently (although not always) suggest that people "on the left" are the ones who are selfish.

Take this comment. Most people I know "on the left" are indeed contemptuous of the nation that's evolved over the last three years, precisely because they are full of love...for the people who can't work due to COVID-19 (thus the support of Democrats for government aid earmarked specifically for them, and not the owners of their companies) ... for the kids in cages along the border, for all the children across the globe who are going to live in a radically less-safe world due to climate change (which you regularly downplay) ... and, yes, especially for the United States Constitution, which, among many other wonders, calls for the imprisonment of people found guilty of crimes (even those people who worked for a successful presidential campaign, and find themselves behind bars during a pandemic.)

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Many of them don't read English well. The Spanish communication hasn't been very good, locally or nationally and, of course, since packing plants hire refugees who have migrated from around the globe, it's not just Spanish, either.

The time when we could have tried to front-end English-language immersion, or forced it, on some level...it's not happening. So I'd try, really hard, to educate all American students in Spanish, as early as possible.

A few months ago, I was at an open house at a recreation center near our church, and one of those advocacy organizations was making a presentation on neighborhood renewal, etc. ESL was a big piece of it, of course. I flipped it: What about SSL? Even on a community level - some 10-week class that covered common phrases, expressions, etc - wouldn't it be helpful? And they said they'd never considered it, and, what's more, were unsure how it'd help.

Draft saved Draft deleted