1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Which speaks to consumption - not how we burn energy. And travel. If you're telling the American climate change kids they can't go to France or England or Japan or anywhere because climate, well, see how that goes.

That's why I think the whole climate change operation is a leverage job. We all know how to most reduce harm to the climate - drastically reduce consumption across many fronts. Doing so might damage the exotic coolness of a life though, and that's one of the hardest things to give up.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

There were a lot of interesting things in your post, but none more than your comments about how Americans deal with death.

I don't mean that in a casual, cavalier way. Of course we all try to avoid risky behavior and long-term-health-issues to live a long and productive life.

But we don't plan for death very well, we certainly don't accept aging well, and even with a new and lethal virus floating around, we don't like to think about dying. Ever.

That absolutely is part of the problem our nation's having in this pandemic.

TigerVols and Alma like this.
  3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I do. Aside from the COVID-related reasons, the bottom line actually beats going to the store. I have a budget and a list of the things I need. There is no chance I'll get something on impulse when I've ordered it. Years before, there was a grocery delivery service in Nashville called Plumgood. I did the math and it turned out I was spending at least a third less using them.

Amazon Fresh often has things that are much cheaper than Kroger, Publix, or Aldi or they have items I'd have to drive across the county to get. So even before the plague, it saved on gas, oil, tires, and wear and tear on me and Ford Prefect.

4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Dammit! Quit being reasonable!

Thanks, man! Same to you.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

My 88-year-old mom and her three card-playing friends (two in their 80s, one in her 90s, too) were recently discussing getting together to play for the first time in three months.

My mom (who has to be among the most socially active people of her age around) also has heard from various other elderly friends about possibly getting back to the monthly bunko game that rotates around to each person in a senior-citizen group of 12's houses sometime soon. And her senior life group at church is contemplating a get-together at a local park, just so they can see each other again, because they haven't for three months and are starting to feel like they're shriveling up and dying of boredom and loneliness way before even their time.

That ought to tell you that people's tolerance of the restrictions is definitely waning, come what may.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I don’t have too much of an issue of sitting around and shooting the breeze. Passing around poker chips and cards all night long is what is making me think long and hard about it.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Won’t matter. She’ll get her usual round of death threats from Trumpists.
    You’re right. Having her on a panel on this topic is like having Beer Bong Brett on a panel discussing the universal DH. Smart people. Interested in the topic. But not credible.

8. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Change it to a golf outing.

9. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

I don't think there is anything wrong with using that button. Sometimes you just need a break from people and that is ok. The button is like a refreshing breeze or something.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If only I didn’t suck at golf.

playthrough and Jerry-atric like this.
  11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

12. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

That is an interesting point of view. Thank you for sharing. You are right. Perhaps we should be considering opening up more than we are.

Draft saved Draft deleted