1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, there is a connection to climate change and the coronavirus. There is. But it doesn't have a thing to do solar energy or electric cars or The Paris Accords.

It has to do with globalism and consumption. If she says on TV that we should stop all non-essential travel, particularly to China, she will have said something true. Somehow I doubt she would. But we'll see. (I won't be watching live.)

The majority of the climate change lobby just wants to make a good coin while pedaling moralism in one of those "only good shit for all the best people, nothing irritating or uncool or sucky unless you're a bad person" platforms progressives specialize in now. Like the activists who link your the depth of your character directly to your contribution to their venmo account and, when asked to unpack their activism, suggest you "do the hard work" because they're fatigued at having to explain themselves.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Overseas travel isn't gonna be a problem in the US for some time. Seems like the EU might not let Americans in this summer. And I doubt many tourists will be up for the regimen Bari is undergoing in Hong Kong right now.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Yes, an increase in testing means an increase in the knowledge of the scope of the problem. That's an unvarnished good. But the people newly detected with the virus already had it.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I don't really agree with it. It's just some libertarian who thinks he knows everything.

He sure knows how to lie with statistics, though.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Precisely. Two things here:
    1) This guy suggests that we shouldn't panic about this because those with underlying health conditions represent a minority of the population that is holding the worthy majority back. Wrong. According to the CDC -- cue Trumpist contempt for $cience -- 60% of American adults have one or more chronic health conditions.
    Chronic Diseases in America | CDC

2) This post is entirely self-serving. This guy wants to Reopen Amurrica because he owns a gym or perhaps a chain of gyms for which he is seeking franchisees. It's in his interest to downplay the Trumpandemic and to belittle those with existing health problems because his target demographic is into weightlifting as macho posturing.

lakefront and garrow like this.
  7. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

The underlying conditions is one of the dumbest talking points of this whole thing. You know what kills people with underlying conditions? Everything. As tap said above, 60 percent of adults in this country have underlying conditions. So a pretty decent majority.

When people brought up the flu argument before this shot up did they mention underlying conditions? Hell no. I guarantee flu deaths are increased in those with underlying conditions. You know who they really want to get flu shots every year if no one else does? Those who are at most risk. Why is this any different? Or surprising that it is? Or more of an impact?

We act like underlying conditions are some new thing. It's just a way to minimize what's happening and make people more comfortable with the results.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

This guy, on the other hand, I think is right.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"I'm only trying to say America is fat country. We need gym memberships."

Fred siegle likes this.
  10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Trump and his klan are stupid, Part 1,786,908.
    Trump whines about the increase in testing and dreads it because it will lead to more positive tests. But as testing has increased, the % of new tests that are positive has declined. It proves cautionary measures are working on a national level.

upload_2020-5-13_19-46-22.png

upload_2020-5-13_19-46-54.png

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Nope, no one will let us in. We are the absolute joke of the world right now. We already were before this, but this cemented it. Elections have consequences.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted