1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

To effect real change on the climate, "some time" would equate "a long time."

My general argument is that the kinds of changes we'd have to make in consumption to actually effect climate over a long period of time are the kinds of changes no one wants to make, so, instead, we have this climate lobby arguing for major-but-fairly-unimpactful changes that make them a lot of money - and certainly make them feel better about saving the world - without it actually doing much.

2. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

I don't think it proves that. If you only give a few tests, you're going to test the people who you're pretty sure have it. If you give more, you'll also test some people who you think might have it but might not, so the average will be lower. That the average is lower doesn't prove that the actual rate of infection in the entire population (which you can't measure without testing everyone) is lower.

That said, of course I agree that the cautionary measures are reducing the rate of infection below what it otherwise would be, but that's not the same thing.

Donny in his element likes this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It proves nothing of the kind.

Six weeks ago, you had to be running a fever, coughing up a lung, gasping for breath AND knew you had been in contact with someone who had tested positive to even be tested . . . in which case your test had a high probability of coming back positive.

Today (in some places) you can get tested just for peace of mind and/or curiosity, in which case your test has a high probability of coming back negative.

Neither of which has anything to do with "cautionary measures."

Our country's cautionary measures can indicate a few things. They absolutely cannot prove anything . . . other than the wrecking of an economy. Because we don't have a time machine to compare it to the alternate universe without the government-mandated cautionary measures. The BEST thing you can say is, "We believe it will have been worth it." You will never be able to say that definitively, however.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

White-supremacist militas, anti-vaxxers, Qanon believers and Stoolies are the oddest combo yet.

lakefront likes this.
  5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You dare argue with a Non-University-6 grad?

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Can't even spell the name right, so obviously that makes him quite the expert

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You’re right. It doesn’t hit everyone the same. Here’s what it does to children.

8. Inky_Wretch

Fuck them kids, we need haircuts and the dining room of Outback open again!

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I didn't realize so many kids were in nursing homes

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

>>The incubation period must be really long.

>>I'll be curious to see if there's some kind link in terms of symptoms/vaccination records/etc

>>The numbers are such (for now) that we should get a handle on what's what.

>>Connecting this to chain restaurants eateries is a real thing for y'all. All the local restaurants shuttered or something?

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Man does not live by bread alone, but by every naan that comes with the aioli of ...

HanSenSE and Jerry-atric like this.
  12. Inky_Wretch

And they’re all reasons why rushing to reopen is a bad idea.

Draft saved Draft deleted