1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I have questions. That may not qualify as a dental emergency, but it’s clearly a problem with long-term consequences for her. Isn’t there a point where she should be helped?

What happens in the case of awful dental pain? Does the patient have to endure it?

If the dentists are wearing masks, are they sufficiently protected from the patients, who can’t wear masks?

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"We don't have a single point of leadership right now for this virus response, and we don't have a master plan for this response," Bright said.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

One of the Republicans said that Mike Pence was in charge of the response. I snickered.

4. tapintoamerica

More to it than boundaries. Trump and his klan of SEC governors and bigoted legislators everywhere failed to procure masks et al. Trump affirmatively acted to prevent libruhl states from getting this assistance. Having testing and equipment in decent supply would have shortened the time of lockdown orders. It’s more complicated than the mixed messaging.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. tapintoamerica

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There was a woman in Nebraska with Stage IV colon cancer that had spread to her liver. She underwent several surgeries and rounds of chemotherapy pre-pandemic and was down to one last procedure --- a liver resection.

Postponed indefinitely. Because (gasp!) we have to leave hospitals all this room for the flood of COVID-19 patients. And delaying it is no longer a threat to life or limb.

In Nebraska. A state of fewer than 10,000 cases and 107 deaths.

A projection from the state's Legislative Research Office estimated a need for 95,000 hospital beds during the pandemic. Another fucked-up model that does more harm than good.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

10. tapintoamerica

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't think this guy has any particular incentive to lie. I buy it.

It's been a problem for awhile, of course, across-agency cooperation and coordination. Richard Clarke blew a similar whistle over 9/11. And it goes without saying our immigration enforcement, much less having a cohesive plan, was a joke for years. Few wanted to arrive at any kind of solution there, no one did, and now we have what we have in the packing houses.

So, yeah, doing big things round the US is hard. Congress has sucked for awhile. President in charge stinks at all this, but it's not all on him. Hard to fix.

12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

There's no question basic healthcare has been turned upside down with this and is an impact that wasn't really expected or thought through. But for something like this, if it is true there is much more to the story. Someone with a serious condition like that isn't being denied care. Maybe she chose to put it off or the risk of even going to the hospital was more than the reward of doing the surgery right now. Who knows, but I would guarantee she wasn't denied care, at least how you described it.

Draft saved Draft deleted