1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

This is what scares me about the rush to re-open. Open your business back up too early. Very few customers and slim profits if any. You burn through your reopening seed money and are staring going out of business in the eye. You close back down and try to wait it out but you are now overextended. Maybe you find a way to re-open when things do stabilize, maybe you can't.

HanSenSE and Smallpotatoes like this.
  2. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Anyone else on Next Door or Hip ____ ? I had to leave to protect my fraying faith in humanity.

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Yet you continue to follow Hat Guy.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The past two summers, my daughter has worked at a candy/ice cream shop in our touristy downtown. They are opening up this weekend as Idaho enters "stage 2" of its reopening plan, which allows most small businesses and shops to re-open. All the orders will be taken at an impromptu "window" installed in the business's main door.

I hope it does well for my daughter's sake, but I have a hard time imagining many locals rushing to go there unless the weather warms up. And tourists? Already a lot of the summer events have been canceled or, at best, postponed. It's going to be a rough summer for tourism.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I didn't say I always use it.

6. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Uh ... what?
    I acknowledge your clean writing and carefully written sentences, but were the eff does this come from?

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The armed militia klansmen saying, "Ah wanna work" are really saying, "Ah want other people to work so Ah can get services that Ah want."
    They're not particularly concerned with the local chamber of commerce's success. And it's not entirely up to the government whether individual small businesses open. The government can't compel them to open.
    Gov. Trumpfluffer in Georgia is discovering this.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

There's a great diner in our town, an institution, really, and it's now for sale. It was completely closed until last week when it started to offer chicken dinners for take out. One of the servers has been doing shopping for older people in town, to get by.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Interesting and sad read -- there seems to be a real possibility that Andy Gill of the band Gang of Four died of the coronavirus. He died February 1st, so the timetable would be extremely early in the outbreak. This post was written by his wife.

https://www.catherinemayer.co.uk/post/2020-vision-14-may-16-00

TigerVols likes this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

My rule with Trumpistas on Facebook is never engage, but as the conspiracy theories get whackier, I may have to change my approach, especially now that I have a friend in Arizona who tested positive.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I think I missed part of this conversation.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted