1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know how that can be successful in a long-term situation. Sure, schools will have more time to plan to do it in the fall. They will also learn a few things from what is going on now.

That said, the job will also become a lot harder in September. Right now, you have teachers working with students they know. They had until mid-March to build relationships with those students. They also had that time to establish classroom protocols and expectations. The teachers and students knew one another. None of that will be in place in September. Teachers will get new groups of students. Students will have to adjust to new teachers. There will also be no opportunity for teachers to get to know parents. The first time they hear from the teaches will likely be to tell them that their little angels aren't showing up for virtual lessons. Imagine how well that will go over.

Distance learning isn't great right now. I suspect it will be worse in the fall, not better.

2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I'm going to hell for writing this post but dead kids do hurt politicians. Nursing homes full of dead GOP voters hurt the Republican party a lot more.

Which is something that doesn't seem to have to occurred to the President.

I imagine there's an equation that goes something like.... Asymptomatic kids + grandparents = dead grandparents.

New York magazine had a great interview about the future of colleges this week with Scott Galloway, marketing guru at NYU. Money quote:
    It was so interesting I'm actually going to pay $5 a month to subscribe now - The Coming Disruption to College

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Probably Neither. It’s the end of the school year and the finish line was close anyway. That and fear. Guilt. Modern American parents bathe in guilt.

It’s sure as hell not a hard-wired propagation of the species. The kids are all right, species survival wise.

britwrit likes this.
  4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Do you think Newsom is getting ready to barter the alleged antibody breakthrough to the president for the trillion bucks Newsom asked for yesterday?

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I would argue the opposite. I think if they start on time -- late August/September -- with distance learning, they will be much better prepared. I know it varies from state to state, but you had some places where they were thrown it with less than a weeks notice. No unified plan, no real structure, no experience to lean on. There will be months of planning, both from the districts and by the teachers to tailor everything to distance learning.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

blind squirrel finds a nut?

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

We don't.

Could we do better by our kids? Sure, probably. But we're sure as fuck not bathing in guilt about it.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So I live in an area that is "opening up" - more people out, but it is far from normal. The mask/no mask thing is getting weird. I'll have one in the car with me at all times and carry it into a place of business, wear it when close to people etc. I don't want to be an ass. Plus, I've heard that men think it "looks weak" - I figure I can offer positive male modeling by wearing one.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Looks weak?

Not wearing it makes you look like you barely finished high school or Mr. Trump was your science teacher.

10. swingline

I think the men think it looks weak narrative is quite a bit overblown. You're either a dick or you're not.

TigerVols and Fred siegle like this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

There are lots of exceptions.

12. swingline

We do, however, bathe in squirrel blood at our outdoor altar.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted