1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Kids maybe but guardians and teachers...

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Some positive trends here in Colorado.

Our testing is up, averaging just less than 3,300 a day for the past seven. On May 1, the seven-day average was about 2,600 a day. On April 15, the seven-day average was 1,600 a day. So in a month, we've more than doubled testing.

The number of new cases per day is about 350 for the past seven days. On May 1, the seven-day average was 500 new cases per day. On April 15, it was 375.

But with that big spike in testing, the percentage of tests that come back positive has plummeted.

Today, the seven-day average is 10.5 percent, a number that has dropped eight consecutive days and 16 of the past 17. On May 1, it was 23.3 percent. The peak was 28.9 percent on April 20.

Deaths have fluctuated. We had 59 reported today and 141 the past three, but the seven-day average is 27. There have been 1,150 reported in total.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Also the Kawasaki-like disease that is starting to creep up in children with Covid

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The evidence right now tells us that this virus may be causing kids to develop a disease very similar to Kawasaki syndrome.

What to Know About Kawasaki Disease and Coronavirus

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I should have been clearer. I think the instruction will be better. Having time to plan will certainly help teachers. My point was the outcomes may still be worse. Motivation is a serious problem for students in distance learning. There are many adults who can't handle working at home, but now we're asking children to do it. Younger students need structure. Sure, there are distractions in schools as well, but not like home. The motivated students will figure it out, but what about the ones who struggle in that area? That's a fairly large part of the K-12 population. It's going to be way too easy for them to do nothing, especially if mom and dad aren't around or aren't able to be on top of them all day.

6. outofplace

That was exactly my point. I don't know what the answer is. My guess is if they can't figure out a way to make schools safe, it will be online schooling in the fall and it's not going to go well.

Mngwa likes this.
  7. outofplace

I'm not sure it is a disservice, but it's certainly not close to what it should be. That really isn't anybody's fault. Online learning simply isn't nearly as effective as being in the classroom. It isn't just about the material, either. Students learn social skills and workplace skills in school. They learn how to deal with authority figures and their peers. They learn how to identify which peers are good to work with and which ones are going to slow them down. They learn to deal with some of the same bullshit they will face in an office someday.

I've heard a lot about children missing school. I know my daughter is very upset about losing a huge chunk of her junior year of high school. She is worried about missing out on her senior year. I've also heard from teachers and other parents how they constantly hear from children wanting to be back in school, even ones that don't normally like school.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Boy, I'd hate to see Harley-Davidson disease. (Sorry.)

Spartan Squad and HanSenSE like this.
  9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

So pussy to pussy contact is safe?
    I need to tell my wife.

misterbc, 2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

On second thought, you better not.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Two schools of thought on that one.

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

"Single men and women in the Netherlands are being advised to organise a seksbuddy (sex buddy) after criticism of rules dictating that home visitors maintain a 1.5-metre distance from their hosts during the coronavirus lockdown. In a typically open-minded intervention, official guidance from the Dutch National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) has been amended to suggest those without a permanent sexual partner come to mutually satisfactory agreements with like-minded individuals."

Dutch gonna Dutch.
    Dutch official advice to single people: find a sex buddy for lockdown

Draft saved Draft deleted