1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Right, or as Trump said, "no tests means no cases."

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Over/under on someone posting here about an "increase in cases after reopening in some SECcessionist state!" while ignoring the increase in testing going on: 9 hours.

Like most things, this can be turned on its head as well.

When they say “stay at home", they mean low-paid workers who can't return to jobs where they can try to make a living, while the privileged still work from home or on their golf game.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

reading all that science stuff is boring

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

maybe that fucking "stimulus" check should have been bigger

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

And they get unemployment that is sometimes more than what they would have made on the job. But by all means let's send the poor back to work for minimum wage where they will be at risk for the virus for less money while the rich play golf.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Polls have shown that by far the most "reopen it now" sentiment is held by those making 75K or more a year. It's the work at home crowd and golf game crowd that wants OTHER people to go back to work to provide them with goods and services and fuck 'em if they get sick.

Fred siegle, HanSenSE, SFIND and 3 others like this.
  9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

If there aren’t severe disadvantages to being poor, people won’t have any incentive to become rich.

Fred siegle and SFIND like this.
  10. BTExpress

Maybe. But there is another, bigger one coming, right. One that pays $1,200 to all household members (instead of $500 for children).

Family with three kids will see $6,000.

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I heard on Facebook that bootstraps protect you from the virus.

SFIND, tapintoamerica and Webster like this.
  12. BTExpress

I think this is overstated (as evidenced by its Applebee's-esque ubiquitousness).

They want other people to go back to work so the economy as a whole doesn't crater, because the economy cratering will affect them.

Just look at my bankrupt company. Advertising plummeted during the shutdown. It's coming back now (those half-page Sunday Hobby Lobby ads have returned after a six-week hiatus).

I want people to go back to work so businesses will have something to advertise to keep my hanging-by-a-thread job going just a little longer. Selfish? I guess, but that's my motivation, not haircuts and Applebee's.

Draft saved Draft deleted