1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Nobody changed anything. Those are the faces of the reopen movement.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Lack of cover from President Trump isn't the problem. His lack of interest in helping the process of getting schools re-opened is absolutely the problem. We need testing and tracing to get schools open, but President Trump failed to get testing in place at the start. Then he abdicated his responsibility entirely, leaving testing to the states. He actively argues against more testing. He and the Republicans controlling the senate refuse to give states the resources they need to ramp up testing and to provide the additional funding schools are going to need in the fall. Any plan to re-open schools safely in the fall is going to cost more money. Just going back to business as usual is not an option. Business as usual will turn schools into ground zero for spread of the infection not only among the children and staff, but also among the families in that school community.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I look at that and at the example the President sets and feel a strong sense of dissonance.

Does that translate as "No"?

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

During a pandemic, wanna go to Dollywood?
    Catch a virus, you prolly would

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Are other states doing this? If so, what are the general state or federal standards on what counts? I'm guessing that the death count of nearly 90K is the more inclusive version, i.e. those who had it regardless of whether it was the direct killer.

8. tapintoamerica

Looks to me that "pauses" would be a better verb than "halt," which implies a permanent, hard stop.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Does that translate as "no" on what?

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

maybe we're all focusing on the wrong thing

SFIND likes this.
  11. tapintoamerica

As Nate Silver said -- and I don't particularly like agreeing with him -- this sort of error was understandable weeks ago. Now? Come on. It's not that hard to figure out.

I don't think we're ever going to get a true handle on how pervasive this thing is. Example: Georgia says it has enough testing capacity to allow anybody to be tested regardless of symptoms or lack thereof. That's great. But for a decent chunk of the asymptomatic population, there will be no incentive to be tested absent compulsion. Very few people who are feeling fine will want to be tested just to give the public another data point if that might mean a positive result.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No, it isn't. The media is putting its thumb on the scale.

Draft saved Draft deleted