1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Noholesinone

Noholesinone Well-Known Member

If Georgia says it has another 10.3 million tests on hand -- the number of residents not yet tested -- I think someone has a super duper imagination.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"Do you have kids?".

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Agreed. I think they're banking on the fact that no asymptomatic Trumpist is going to agree to be tested. That would be a betrayal to the Lord and Savior.

garrow likes this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

SFIND likes this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, in Arkansas, the SSNs, bank account numbers and routing numbers for more than 33,000 people who applied for unemployment due to C19 were not protected and easily accessible to basic hacking.

6. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

This is just another example of reporting that is causing confusion. Everything about this virus is so under the microscope because it's all we have to focus on so we critique everything. Most other illness death counts that we've seen compared to this probably make counts in similar fashion (surely why there is that flu range and not an exact number), they just aren't under this scrutiny. I sort of feel Colorado's move was in part political and CYA in a way. The governor was asked about how deaths were counted just recently and bam this.

One story gave an example of someone who basically overdosed but had COVID so it was counted as COVID. OK, that definitely shouldn't have been counted as a COVID death. But were all 300? Does it give credibility to the they counted people who died in car crashes but had COVID group? It raises all sorts of questions. Honestly, Colorado was one of the states in the NYT report of excess deaths year over year on average. There likely are actually more than the original 1,100 reported. But when you go tweaking things, it just leads to mistrust in numbers or even the risk from all this. And it's likely other states are purposely undercounting too. So the public can't get any kind of good info regardless. Even if most of us know it is bad, you still have people who took this Colorado news like a guy on a local forum I'm on who are like, see it's not that bad, nothing to worry about, let's for sure have football in the fall.

It would be so much better to be even slower on reporting and accurate, but there are so many agendas out there on all sides it's impossible to keep track of them all.

SFIND and MileHigh like this.
  7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Some of y’all need to die.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

How would that answer point to that?

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Why won't you answer the question? We're not asking for personal information, their ages, their school, number of offspring, names or genders. We're simply asking if he/she/they exist.

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Listen up, Bud Fox, I want you to remember this quote the next time some jerk in Bumf*ck says he votes GOP because they are pro-life."

SFIND likes this.
  12. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

I'm not sure that's exactly what Georgia is saying, though the state's website is misleading. What I've heard and read is that all Georgians can be screened to see whether they qualify to be tested, even if they don't have symptoms (e.g., if you don't have any symptoms but your spouse has the virus, the screener will set up a test for you). There's a 24/7 phone line for screening, and an app, and another online route, or you can call your provider or the state health department. I haven't seen anyone say that there's enough testing capacity to test everyone in the state, though testing has ramped up in the last couple of weeks.

The state's website is misleading, in that is says, "All Georgians can be tested, regardless if symptoms are present, by contacting local health departments or health care provider for a referral to a testing site near their area. Click here for more information." but when you click, it explains about the screening.

tapintoamerica likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted