1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It seems African countries are doing a better job dealing with the virus than Western ones despite having fewer resources, perhaps because due to hard experience they do not suffer from the "it can't happen here" syndrome about plagues. The virus does not have to go against the cultural and social problems created by sexual transmission the way AIDS did.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It is really really bad in the slums of Brazil. When the weather gets colder there are a lot of similar places where people are very close, say Lagos, that will blow up. I'm not saying that there's not a seasonal difference, but rather that it's not going to just up and disappear over the summer. I wish.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

They Blinded Me with COVID-19 Science ! ! !

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

From the party of "But muh FREEDOM to get a hair cut" and "of I gotta sacrifice grandma, so be it" comes a petition to stop an Illinois bill from using data to trace Covid contacts to isolate outbreaks. So they want the economy not to be shut down but they don't want to take steps to do just that.

Sign the Petition

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Some would say this should be on the Coronavirus Memes thread.

I think the memes should be on this thread.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  9. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Does Mitchell Trubisky have COVID-19?

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It was mentioned earlier the conspiracy theorists will get worked up over contact tracing. A friend suggested I look into doing that until some real job opportunities open up in the future. I told the only way I’d do it is if I got a company phone and was allowed to use a pseudonym. Last thing I’d want is a Qanon loon showing up at my house after I called.

2muchcoffeeman and Spartan Squad like this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The US has done 36,000 tests per one million persons in the nation.

That's 225 times more tests, per capita, than Nigeria.

I think it's fair to say the data in Africa may be incomplete.

That said, the virus is not Mothra or Godzilla, so it had to reach some of these nations - Nigeria is one with a lot of travel in and out - and it's hard to say how many in Chad or Mali or Burundi were exposed.

The disease has hit some of our biggest and most cosmopolitan areas around the world hardest. It's an argument - especially the Internet - for decentralizing some of our population - again, the Internet makes this much easier to do - but, given that'd be kind of an uncool takeaway, and also politically risky for the Democrats, I doubt it comes up.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Forget a second wave - what this means is a steady flood. If you can catch COVID more than once, that means herd immunity is a myth (and probably a vaccine as well.) If the first bout with COVID doesn’t lay you low, the next one will.

Humans are fucked.

Draft saved Draft deleted