1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Listening to the guy involved with the (in)famous UDub COVID-19 death projections study (which was revised downwards again yesterday, thank goodness) and he was noting that the widespread adoption of mask use has really driven the numbers down. I'm thinking that this fall even more masks will be available, their use more accepted, and, when combined with increased knowledge about the virus and how to care for its victims, and also the increased number of tests, the second wave may be more of a ripple.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I explained that to oop at the other board, so I will just repeat it here (so it can go over his head twice :) ).

The point isn't to dismiss meatpacking plants (how do people keep making this leap?!?!)
    It's to point how outbreaks tend to occur at select places with select conditions for the people there. Which makes our blanket remedies (a park is just as dangerous as a meatpacking plant!) largely ineffective and, well, stupid.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, it was nice to see in Fort Collins yesterday.

Polis was also asked about college and high school football. He mentioned if schools return in August/September -- and he said Sunday he fully expects that -- that high school football games could be played without fans. I don't know about that. If so, schools are going to have to have cameras in place to at least live stream games.

Even if schools reopen as scheduled, I don't see football restarting on time because these kids haven't been training and conditioning. At best, probably a one-month delay.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Yes. I'm sure all those cases in Coahoma County came from New York City.

5. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Great point.

Except "something from a different perspective" in this case is, "Maybe Donald Trump isn't a moron, is truly fit to be President, and all the chaos is just third-dimensional chess!"

6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I'm certain I've bitched about this here before ....

I'm expecting 12 10-year-olds back for my 10U Parks and Rec football team. We've been building towards this season. .... I'm pretty sure we're not going to play this fall :(

7. BTExpress

I just don't read that AT ALL into Alma's posts.

He simply finds no purpose in being the 846th person on this board to scream, "Donald Trump is a moron!"

And neither do I.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

FIFY

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yeah, um, no.

10. BTExpress

Reasonable chance it came from New York to Atlanta to Jackson to Coahoma County, however.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Who is saying a park is like that?

You know what is like a meatpacking plant? Offices, factories and schools.

SFIND and OscarMadison like this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Or New Orleans.

Neutral Corner likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted