1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I agree. And wait until we get to late summer and high schools won't be starting on time because they are following the NFHS guidelines that I posted a few pages up. Because those guidelines show there's virtually no way there's a football season in the fall.

Roscablo and Neutral Corner like this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Kind of my point. The first part of the Spanish Flu they took steps to prevent the spread, but then reopened too soon. We're taking steps to prevent the spread, which I think accounts for the sub 1 Rt number. I'm in over my head trying to read an academic journal entry on the spread of disease, so I have no idea if they broke it down by time. But it is a little apples to oranges if we haven't completed the run of Coronavirus yet.

4. BTExpress

Given the state of information transmission back then, exactly how effective could they have been at getting on top of things early?

I suspect (but really don't know) that despite the administration's woefulness, the nation as a whole jumped into action in a reasonably swift matter this time. Always could have been better, of course, but compared to 1918 (when you only knew a hurricane was coming after it was already on top of you) . . . .

And regarding re-opening, it seems most places aren't just throwing open the doors willy-nilly. They're doing it not just in phases, but with plenty of restrictions as well. How does that compare to 1918?

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

We did, but I'm curious what we'll see when we come out of SIP. I don't want to be all DOOOOOOOOOM! about it and sincerely hope we don't see spikes (that are not the result of just doing more testing), but I think we need to see where we stand in 2021 before we can do apt comparisons.

6. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

But a lot of the key unknowns could have been known if the governments had done their jobs better (especially on testing & contact tracing), so the existence of unknowns doesn't let them off the hook. This applies more to the federal government than the states, but once it became clear how the feds were going to operate, a lot of the states could've stepped up quicker too.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

And at this point, at least 2 states (Ga and Fla) have made it clear that they don’t want to know the whole truth.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. BTExpress

They didn't hold a parade with 200,000 people, for one thing. They banned large gatherings (good) and closed government businesses that attracted large gatherings (good again).

Did they close private businesses? Story just says they "staggered work shifts." That's a far cry from stay the fuck home. Unemployment rates in 1918-19 were historically low (1.4 percent), so I think not.

The First Measured Century: Book: Section 2.12

And the St. Louis mortality rate for 1918 was still higher than many other cities (Chicago, Seattle, St. Paul, Portland, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, New Orleans, Los Angeles, Detroit, Indianapolis, Atlanta, etc.). I wonder what happened in Pittsburgh, which had a mortality rate 25 percent higher than Philadelphia in 1918.

https://www.stlouisfed.org/~/media/...ment/research-reports/pandemic_flu_report.pdf

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I know who is measuring employment in 2020 in the US and how they do it, and I can even comment about its probable accuracy, knowing who did it and how.

I have no clue how anyone can know what the unemployment rate really was in 1918.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Also, the city health commissioner in St. Louis did shut down businesses in 1918.

St. Louis saw the deadly 1918 Spanish flu epidemic coming. Shutting down the city saved countless lives

It should be noted, also, that St. Louis' death rate during that pandemic was the lowest among the 10 biggest cities at the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted