1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This was actually in the works to be passed before the virus hit and was folded into the CARES Act as part of its Republican-appealing side. It was to let people with IRAs (I have an inherited one as do you) keep riding the pre-virus market boom for a year without having to lessen the principle to take taxable income. When a boom's on, otherwise sensible people decide that anything that lets people take part in increasing assets is sound public policy.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

And I feel equally comfortable with submitting that she also would have been consumed with thoughts about, "How the hell am I going to walk this tightrope so 30 million people aren't thrown out of work as they are deciding whom to vote for this fall?"

And that at least SOME of her decision-making would have been based on "what's best . . . for my re-election chances."

That's not a knock on her. That's Politician Behavior 101. I feel comfortable saying any president other than Jimmy Carter would do the same.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Another Jared production. Eagerly looking forward to that wax museum cuck handling the campaign. LOL

garrow and TigerVols like this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Hmm. Covid Tracking says they had 261 new positives today and that they had 455 last Thursday.
    https://covidtracking.com/api/v1/states/daily.csv

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Jeebus doesn't love me enough. Of course you know Karl Rove will usurp the role eventually.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I don't! :)

Close whatever you want (for the next 6 weeks).

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

555 positive at Tyson meat plant in Storm Lake, Iowa.

(Home of the Delavan Shoe Co. "If your shoes aren't becoming to you, you should be coming to us.")

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Maybe, but she would A) not have thrown away Obama's pandemic plan so she would have had a starting point in December B) started coordinating resources sooner to get hospitals ready for what might be coming C) worked with our allies to help limit the spread of the disease

All if which would have
    1) looked good for re-election
    2) allowed us to do more testing that would have
    a) allowed us to target resources sooner
    b) allowed us to know how fast this was spreading in the US to make informed decisions​
    3) allowed us to react when it wasn't a big deal meaning less loss of life and less impact on the economy

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

OF COURSE any President confronted with a crisis in a re-election year will think of political consequences. That's how it's SUPPOSED to work. It's the incentive to make the President try to accomplish the best possible outcomes. Unless of course the President is a criminal moron psychopath.

Draft saved Draft deleted