1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You know what I meant.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

We didn't go to bars for ... four weeks. Tires and oil were rations for three years. Can you imagine the shit storm if we said you could only drive sometimes?

Yeah I'm sure people bitched back then, we're Americans after all. How many massive protests were there in front of state houses because you needed a ration book to buy meat or because taking a drive out of town was more than frowned upon? I can't think of any either.

Today's sacrifices won't go on for three years, we're being asked to slow down for a few months until we can get the virus under control. I'm sorry that means we can't go to the mall, but it ultimately is for the greater good. Americans are too much thinking about themselves.

5. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

I see bylines on Gannett content all the time.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

My daughter, a graduating high school senior, was given the opportunity yesterday and today to attend celebratory at-a-distance parades ... through the parking lots of her elementary, junior high and high school. She cried this afternoon, as it was the first time she'd seen a friend since March. I scolded her ... "You're thinking too much about yourself!"

7. doctorquant

Good, good friend of mine dedicated years to the fulfillment of a long-held dream of running in the Boston Marathon ... he qualified for the one that was formally cancelled today.

BTExpress likes this.
  8. doctorquant

I'll stop now, but you might step back and ponder the possibility that, despite what @Azrael et al. keep telling you, it ain't all riblets and haircuts. Those things that he and his ilk find gauche and cliche mean a helluva lot to a helluva lot of people.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

In dementia patients, any form of intellectual engagement is good. My dad was so much sharper if I could do crossword puzzles with him. When I would have to return to my life and my work out of state, he'd slip a bit because my mom, who did everything, simply couldn't do as much herself as she and I would do together.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

In WWII, everybody knew somebody serving. They saw the toll on the wives, children, parents left behind. They likely knew somebody who buried a loved one or the dead guy himself.

That isn’t happening now. The people demanding reopening haven’t buried a friend or family member who was killed by this.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He'll live.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

She definitely would not have declared victory in the first inning.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    lakefront likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted