1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Riblets, amirite?

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

For the love of fucking God. I'm saying Americans are thinking too much of themselves because they don't want to spend more than a month not getting a hair cut or going to Applebees not participating in the economy not because they find it hard to be away from people. Fucking hell man. Is this hard? Yes. Are people struggling mentally with this? Of course. I feel terrible for your daughter who misses her friends. I had a student who reached out to men not long ago because he was struggling not being able to go to school. I didn't tell him to suck it up. I got him in contact with our social worker to give him some help. My wife has been resorted to absolute heaving sobs more than once because this is hard. Unlike what you think, I didn't tell her to suck it up.

What makes me honest to fucking God tired of Americans is we are having to live through this and it didn't have to be this bad. But we have a joke of a president who called this a hoax that would just disappear. We have people who pack beaches because they need their freedom. We have people packing bars as soon as they reopen. Meanwhile we have people dying or getting seriously sick. Meat packing plants are having outbreaks, but by all means, let's open up everything because we need a hair cut and to Applebees after we need to stimulate the economy.

And I'm sorry your friend missed out on the Boston Marathon, but again, having massive crowds of people is not a good idea right now.

3. Spartan Squad

True there is a lack of making it personal.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. doctorquant

Got it. My daughter doesn't know anyone personally who was afflicted by this ... That's why her losses fade into trivia. #riblets

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I really think that’s a big part of it.

There have been 12 or so cases in my county of 100,000 plus. There are a lot of people here who aren’t concerned any longer. Bars were packed Tuesday - the first day they could reopen. No masks. No social distancing. You wear a mask in a grocery store here and you’re in a small minority.

Of course, when it hits here it’s going to be hell.

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  6. doctorquant

Sounds like you have money on it.

[​IMG]

7. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Of course, as weird as it may seem, like during World War II was a big improvement for a lot of people coming out of the Depression.

No more worries about finding a job, and finally, meaningful work if you were a woman. And even if you were in the service, PBS estimated a few years ago that less than 10 percent saw combat. I had a couple of great-uncles not in the infantry who said it was the best time of their lives.

Then again, if it was 1942 today, you'd have a lot of people saying, well, Hawaii isn't even a state. Wasn't it Japanese in the first place? And I sure don't see any Germans here in Georgia....

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

My daughter has cried about missing friends and events and all this shit. Fuck, I have too. Often!

But we aren’t marching on the capitol demanding everything reopen or screaming at grocery store employees for wearing masks.

OscarMadison and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  9. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Is deferring this year's entry until 2021 possible? It was when I ran Boston ... but that wasn't a year when all 30,000 entrants would want a one-year deferral.

10. Inky_Wretch

Sounds like you’re trolling. So bye.

11. doctorquant

Dunno. He's a pussy for mourning the loss, I'm told.

12. Spartan Squad

Yes that's exactly it. Her having a hard time being away from her social group is trivial for that exact reason. Not "make it personal" in the sense that if we made it personal people would stop engaging in risky behaviors that help to spread this disease. Totally didn't mean that at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted