1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

how embarrassing for the media to be embarrassed by the media they're being paid to be members of the media not critics of the media but if even if they were members of the media who are paid to be critics of the media like maybe a media critic that is still tiresome because they are so eager to do their job they are losing site of the real enemy and that's the media

2. Hooray4snail

Hooray4snail Active Member

From priests at St. John's church in D.C.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And a thread on tonight’s attempts by law enforcement to intimidate the media:

They hate the free press because they fear the free press because they can’t control the free press.

OscarMadison and swingline like this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Journalist beaten by thugs ...

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

At this point, a refusal to address or admit the existence of racism in Trump's America is cowardice caped in compromise. Saint Dabo of the Upstate will agree to discuss the state-sanctioned murder of black people, but only if gets to skate by couching it all in general platitudes that suggest racism is inevitable part of humanity. Just like sloth or gluttony or infidelity or dishonesty or other lesser and included offenses.
    By talking about "sin," he gets to moralize in his way. He gets to come off as a minister in his pulpit. Funny how protesters of injustice might need to find a new homeland, but no other actors in these stories receive the same nudges off of Dabo Island. Guess they can stay. What exactly did they do again?
    Perhaps we expect too much of our football coaches if we expect them to solve intractable problems with a sound bite. But it is not too much to ask them to opine. They are, after all, educators. Or so they tell us.

6. tapintoamerica

Burn down the disco. (If, by chance, there is one at a Trump property in memory of the owner's proclivities.)

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm a little fatigued by the "coach didn't say the way he should have" schtick. I know Forde is, in essence, paid to write what he thinks. (Which is why I suggested I might have been a little harsh.) But it does seem like, at some point, the basic critique for many sports journalists boils down to "they don't think like I want them to think." And since most mainstream sports journalists who dare share their opinion all feel the same way...that's how you get a Clay Travis and a Dave Portnoy, full-blown caricatures who nevertheless appears to stand against the monolithic liberal sports media.

I care for Travis and Portnoy for even less. The latter has taken to delivering coronavirus rants. But they get oxygen from the huffy other side.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The lawsuits need to start. Violation of First and 14th Amendment protections are increasing. Make it federal. This flaunting of the Constitution needs to stop.

9. tapintoamerica

Such discussions make Trumpists uncomfortable. So do discussions of that Wuhan Virus. You know that one. It's the one that doesn't really exist but needs to be dismissed so that we can get money running through the state of Oklahoma. Or perhaps South Carolina.

10. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Bill Barr says hi.

11. tapintoamerica

And at the rate the Trumpist militia in state-sanctioned cloth are acting, they'll soon be adding the Eighth to the list of allegedly bedrock American principles worthy of sacrifice to Barr, the god of injustice.

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I hope you can overcome your fatigue in the face of such and ordeal. Thought and prayers.

We cannot let huffiness on one side force right-wing opportunists take advantage of a pandemic and systemic racism. Shame on us for providing that opportunity.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted