1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Look at the video from across the street. It wasn't just that they didn't stop it. Two of them helped hold him down.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Stipulating that he never did try to destroy the United States (although America did send soldiers to fight against the Red Army in the Russian civil war), this proudly stands in Seattle . . .

[​IMG]

3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

4. Machine Head

jfc.

I didn't know Brees is this much of a stone-cold idiot.

I see one of his teammates has responded on Twitter.

Great job, Drew. No, really, great job. Fly that flag.

5. Machine Head

Press conference starts.

But do they know where the other three officers are? That has to be asked, at least one appears to have left mn.

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

7. Machine Head

Officials say all three will be in custody today. One is already.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Ladies and gentlemen, the need for copy editors part ... sorry I've lost count. Much like whoever wrote this just lost his/her job (I assume).

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I doubt a reporter wrote it. But who knows.

FWIW, in my experience - I don’t want this to seem rude - editors are less sensitive than reporters on stuff like this. Editors are always in wordville, attempting to be clever, playing on words, etc.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Editors are also the ones asking questions when writers try to get things like this past them. Being a good editor isn't all about a snappy headline, for fuck's sake.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if it was a reporter or a section editor, but the lack of people on staff to read something out loud and ask if that really is how you want to say something is desperately needed. You're absolutely right that even with a copy editor it could still be missed, but it at least provides another layer between the guy trying (and failing) to be clever and the final product.

Draft saved Draft deleted