1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I was referring to graffiti and property damage in Washington, D.C. and the National Mall, and to destroyed businesses in, well, lots of places. I didn't consider such destructiveness OK, even if can be "cleaned up as soon as daylight comes."

I can't believe that so many seem to think the mayhem has not been a problem, and couldn't lead to worse. I don't know, it seemed pretty reasonably logical, and even probable, to me. We've been amazingly fortunate that things have not been much worse and that, relatively speaking, injuries and worse have been minimal, considering the scope and duration of such scenes.

I'm with Mngwa in thinking, at least at first glance, that police forces should have focused more on the destructive mobs than the protestors, particularly once it became clear that those gatherings, in most places, were being, or becoming, more orderly and peaceful by the day.

But, on second thought, too, say the the police did get more aggressive with the looters and organized criminal element, what do you think would have happened in such an incendiary situation? How much danger of escalation would there be, then, particularly given the active disdain -- even hatred (whether deserved or not) of police forces right now?

I'm just asking. It's truly scary to think about.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Troll, um, I mean Kroll once said the Obama Administration "oppressed the police."

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

One way to make sure you don't get tear gassed, start imitating the "Haircuts equal freedom" crowd.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Time for Arlington County vice squad to set up a sting operation. Boy, oh boy, what might they find?

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Speaking of Arkansas ...

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Kudos for another SEC coach who has done something before coaching a single game. Again, it won't play well. And it will be used against him. But if a guy with that thin a resume -- OL coach? -- and zero track record in his current post can encourage his players to protest, why can't others do the same?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted