1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I attend a lot of public meetings and events where they recite the flag salute. Most people throw a hand over their heart and recite from rote memory with no meaning.

Viewing virtual public meetings, half the public officials don't even stand.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm saddened DiBruno Bros is not a member of DaBernie Bros.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

If you taught for 30 years, you have said the Pledge about 5,000 times.

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Over 7000 total if you add your time as a student.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

His message included "I have several good friends who are African-Americans," so he's good.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Fake patriotism is no patriotism.

The anthem has no place at a sporting event — none. But pro owners and college/prep administrators are scared of the blowback from politicians and conservative boosters if it wasn’t played. For all it’s supposed patriotism, the NFL isn’t demanding the anthem be shown on TV before its games. Because they know it doesn’t mean a thing.

I will not stand, and I will not remove my hat. And if I’m at home, I turn the fucking channel.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Airing the national anthem is a fixture of Nascar broadcasts. Show the singer, pan to drivers standing next to their cars with their families, back to the singer, etc. It's as predictable as a late-race caution.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Plus, they always include the anthem singer in the pre-race pressers, with the grand marshal, the person who gives the command to start the engines, the squadron of pilots for the flyover, the minister who gives the opening prayer and Miss Goodwrench. I would call all of that a waste of time but it sure eats up a lot of the notebook if you know you're going to have a tough deadline.

playthrough likes this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Tone-deaf police, chapter whatever.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Distill it down, this is all it is:

Hey thanks for paying $10-500,000 (well if you kneel in a suite is anyone calling you out?) for the privilege to watch some sporting event, now you must show us your patriotism.​

For those of you who are unable/unwilling to pay such monies, you NEVER have to show any patriotism by singing the anthem.​

Its stupid.

The national anthem during the Olympic medal ceremony? That I get.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted