1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

George Floyd Protests: The Failed History of Civil Rights Riots | National Review

If the riots we are seeing now are meant to effect positive change for African Americans in Minneapolis and other cities, they are unlikely to succeed. Governor Brown’s free school lunches are not going to get it done. In Minneapolis, Chicago, Dallas, Philadelphia, Washington, etc., Democrats and progressives have had something very close to an unbroken monopoly on political power for decades. Minneapolis hasn’t had a Republican mayor since the Eisenhower years. There are no Republicans on the Minneapolis city council, and there hasn’t been one in decades. Democrats have unimpeded political power in Minneapolis and many other cities, and it shows. They may have added free breakfasts to the free lunches, but the blood on the streets suggests that progressivism isn’t getting it done.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Cops are the power on the streets, not some guy sitting in a city council chamber. And cops are not progressive.

Dog8Cats, Mngwa and Mr. Sluggo like this.
  3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Cold War vs. Sept. 11/Iraq-Afghanistan War, who ya got?

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

A’s hire A’s, B’s hire C’s, fine people hire very fine people, very fine people hire the best people

garrow and bigpern23 like this.
  5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Beyond sickening. Both cop/thugs suspended without pay, fucking bastards.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It should be noted he kneeled at the encouragement of former Green Beret and Seattle Seahawk Nate Boyer, who said kneeling would be a way for him to respect the flag/anthem while getting his point across.

"Kneeling's never been in our history really seen as a disrespectful act. I mean, people kneel when they get knighted. You kneel to propose to your wife, and you take a knee to pray. And soldiers often take a knee in front of a fallen brother's grave to pay respects. So I thought, if anything, besides standing, that was the most respectful."

Boyer greatly underestimated the systemic racism in our country.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Another fuckhead cop/thug.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's amazing to me - perhaps it shouldn't be - that these riot situations tend to bring out the worst in police - when it requires the best. I've seen good cops be authoritative without being overly aggressive and petty. I've seen officers flee for cover after being shot rather than shooting blindly in the direction of their attacker due to concerns about bystanders - but these riot situations always seem to bring out the worst in some cops (who more often than not seem to be the most out of shape (I'm guessing they don't spend a lot of time on the street) and unprofessional.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Tweener likes this.
  11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

So installing Trumpists, whose track record of supporting violent cops, gutting civil-rights legislation, killing education and de-funding public health, is really what cities need?
    Just today, your boy Rand Paul stood up in the Senate and tap-danced for the Federalist Society to complicate passage of a federal anti-lynching law.
    But that's just what cities need.
    Everywhere in government today, Trumpists stand for ruining government. The Secretary of Education hates public education. The Attorney General thinks his only job is to fluff the president, allowing any and all corruption if his guy is behind it. The head of the EPA wants to kill the environment by benefiting his bros in the coal industry.
    But that's just the mindset that will allow government to help cities.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You are responding to an imaginary post.

Draft saved Draft deleted