1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I wonder how much domestic abuse is tied to that? I think we all probably know a woman, or a friend of a friend, married to a cop that gets pushed around or emotionally abused or beaten ... and has no recourse because it's futile to report a wife beating cop to the cops. But I think that might be more endemic to policing.

2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Does it bring out the worst? Or are we just looking right now? Isn't that the issue?

3. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

This video represents a lot of what I've seen this week. Officer or two has someone down and then it becomes a dogpile. WTF? Why do you need five or six officers piling on one person?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Telling the truth about him is not smearing him. Sure, some people will abuse that. What do you think those people will do if the media chooses to try to hide details of Floyd's life? They will find out anyway, then shift the discussion to the media's agenda.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  5. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

This is a very good point. The media often have an agenda.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

So if having that information out there validates the idea that killing him was justified, so be it?

7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Conversely, not having the truth out there, ie "hiding it" implies that the truth would justify killing him. He committed a crime. He served his time. Years later, he was murdered in cold blood on a street in Minnesota by armed police. The first two statements do not serve the third.
    The truth is this: People who want to believe he deserved that cold, cruel death will latch on to truth or lies or both to rationalize their thoughts.

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  8. Jerry-atric

I do not understand how it would do so. It shows that Mr. Floyd has long stayed out of trouble for 13 years.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Apparently Candace Owens thinks it makes killing him ok. And her followers agree.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Summer of 1999 I was back in Pittsburgh and briefly dated a girl. We met up at a coffee shop one Sunday night after she got off of work and hung, then sat in her car talking after the shop closed. Shortly before midnight, a Pittsburgh police car pulls up. Now, Beth was in the drivers seat and I was in the passenger side. We weren't doing anything beyond bullshit. Windows weren't steamed and everyone was completely clothed.....which is why I found it so fucking strange that this cop came up to the driver's side window and asked, "is this person bothering you?" Umm, what? He went on his way and we got a laugh out of it.

We stopped dating but remained in kinda contact off and on. She one day told me she had just gotten out of an abusive longterm relationship with a cop who had been stalking her, which was how he found an opportunity to get to introduce himself. As she went into detail about the abuse I said, "wait, remember the time we were in Squirrel Hill and..." Yup. Same guy. And that's just her story. I can only imagine how many others have similar experiences.

11. Jerry-atric

I do not know who that is. Is she the “Murphy Brown” actress?

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Dude. Damn.

Draft saved Draft deleted