1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"Now the 57-year-old Taylorsville man, who has spent nearly two decades of his life behind bars in California and once was convicted of battery against a public safety officer, faces three felony counts for, widely shared video has shown, aiming his weapon at protesters.

All three counts are Utah’s lowest grade of felony. Each is punishable by up to five years in prison. McCormick was also charged with a misdemeanor count of threatening or using a weapon in a fight. That count carries up to a year in jail."

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

So I probably should have said it was true but irrelevant. So sue me.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Well, you said it more than once. It would lead me to believe you believed he hadn’t been previously jailed.

yes, it is irrelevant to his murder.

4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

It's almost as if there's an epidemic of bad, racist policing.

5. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

As well as the COVID-19 epidemic.

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I hope there is some kind of followup on this as to that guy getting fired.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

From what I can gather from the googles:
    1) The two cops were put on paid desk duty, while the police chief (i.e. -- their tailgate buddy?) hopes it goes away.
    2) The DA, Bubba "Law & Order" McCoy, begrudgingly dropped the felony charge of interfering with the arrest because the video stubbornly shows the extent of the interference being Potsie's face getting in the way of the cop's knee after the cop throws him to ground. But he's hellbent on prosecuting that disorderly conduct misdemeanor for saying some cuss words.
    3) The guys involved were surprisingly well versed about their rights, so I am hoping they fight it. Apparently Texas does have a disorderly conduct law in its penal code that makes it illegal to use abusive, indecent, profane or vulgar language in a public place if the language by its very utterance tends to incide an immediate breach of the peace. But it would be great if one of them tells the public defender to go back to his nap and just show up for court, and then puts together a brief for the lawyer to polish up, pointing out that:
    a) The video shows that the only thing that incited an immediate breach of the peace was the cop's Incredible Hulk act.
    b) The language they used is so common outside of a gas station convenience store that it obviously isn't inciteful.
    c) That statute violates the first amendment. Even if the judge refuses to rule that, the statute is so vague about what language is unacceptable that it means an angry cop can arrest anyone for saying anything to anyone at any time.
    4) If any of those arguments work, and all of them should in a world that isn't batshit crazy, when the case gets dismissed, they should then give immediate notice to the town about the pending civil litigation that is coming.

Dog8Cats and Driftwood like this.
  8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

@GilGarrido FWIW, good on you ... your handling of the baiter. I still cannot figure what is so wrong with you. :)

WriteThinking and I Should Coco like this.
  9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I don't care of the costs and even if it bankrupts each and every City/County/municipality, sue each and every one and seek maximum damages for each and every violation of every person's civil right to be free from discriminatory treatment.

Every personal injury attorney and civil rights attorney start feeding at the trough that is the monies due for these violations.

This is sickening and if the City leaders are not going to stop it, they will answer for the $$ paid and the bankruptcies that follow.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted