1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This is the classic Friday News Dump. Come Monday, it'll be all right.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

theres a story tonight — sourcing two of the cops — saying they quit because their union indicated it was unwilling to fund legal defence. So, while some may have resigned in protest, not all did. The worry was liability.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Why should it matter? The whole point is that it’s doesn’t matter what life he had; when he was killed he was an unarmed, black man who was not posing any threat and saying he couldn’t breathe. If you or anyone else thinks differently whether it was the guy who burglarized someone the day before or was the FBI Director; thats EXACTLY THE PROBLEM.

Damn you are so intent on making it relevant that you have assumed that Chauvin KNEW about Floyd’s conviction from ANOTHER STATE 11 yrs ago!!

I’d bet my small fortune NO WAY.

OscarMadison and Smallpotatoes like this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

His PR team finally got the messaging together

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

“I said Floyd was looking down. Maybe he’s looking up. Many people are saying he’s not a nice guy. Either way, I know he was pleased with jobs numbers.”

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You're looking at it from a point of view of a general reader whom you would only want to see Floyd as a murder victim of racist cops. I'm looking at it from a journalistic point of view, and I can't believe there's been as much questioning of this as there has been, and so much push-back over the the non-presentation of a newsworthy hard fact of somebody's life, and that so many journalists are fine with it.

I'm not assuming anything. I just know that police who stop people often, even usually, do background checks, on the spot, and there's a lot of information to be had in the national police data base. I don't know for sure if these cops had already done that, but I would not be surprised if they had. And you'd be foolish to think a prior arrest, particularly for a serious crime, might be be of note to policemen who might be pulling you over.

George Floyd shouldn't have been killed in police custody. A CNN journalist writing Floyd's life story should have reported that he had been arrested and served a significant amount of prison time for a serious previous offense. Just like they wrote everything else.

Liut likes this.
  10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

... and in 1941, Hawaii wasn't among the United States of America.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Legit question: Has the U.S. military ever made it policy to deny entry to people with criminal records? I honestly have no idea the answer that question.

Draft saved Draft deleted