1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The gears of the economy must be greased with the blood of the dead.

2muchcoffeeman and OscarMadison like this.
  2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

So I guess we've reached the baseline of 1,000 people dying every day now

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As a high-risk individual, let me assure everyone I am not rooting for the virus one little bit. But I don't think it's going away, and I'm sure I'll have to alter my own behavior for a long time to avoid it if possible. I'd love to be able to sit at a reopened bar, have a cold one and shoot the shit, but that's not happening for me. I could use a haircut, but I'm still reluctant to pull the trigger and make an appointment. Travel? No, thank you.

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I’m rooting for honesty in reporting over willful ignorance of the threat.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

After nearly three months at home alone, I'm getting in my car and doing a 3-week road trip. I'll be hiking outside all day most days, wearing a mask whenever around people, and I'll not be doing anything inside any establishments except maybe picking up takeout. There is some measure of risk in this trip but from a mental and emotional health standpoint, I desperately need to get out and see some beautiful places and push my body hard for hours a day. The past couple of weeks have been a bit dark and down for me and I know I need to do something to turn that around.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I respect your choice and I think you are being as careful as possible. I honestly don't know what I'd be doing if I couldn't play golf every day. I know my mind would be in a muck darker place.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Sounds. Great. I’m in the middle of a 3,500 mile round trip roady myself and it feels great to get out.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I’m taking a week off the week after next, throwing my bike and golf clubs in the back of the car and driving to Charleston to see friends and do a bunch of outdoor activities. Same thing as you, John, need to get out and do something. It’s not my planned vacation to France, but it’s something.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Good luck. I think we all need a mental break, and you are doing the right things.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Mother's Day, I had had it. It was my birthday, so I drove out to SoCal (via your old stamping grounds) to see family. Actually going back out there in a couple of weeks for Father's Day and a drive up to Mammoth for a couple of days of golf with my brothers.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Very nice! Say hi to the Indian Wells Brewery on your way for me.

MileHigh likes this.
  12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

My brother-in-law(ish) and I got together to go golfing today. There weren't many people around us so we didn't have to worry too much about social distancing. When we showed up, the club house had a sign that limited how many people could be inside at a time, but I was the only one checking in at the time, so it wasn't an issue. Brother-in-law(ish) had pre-paid, so I just had to cover the cost of carts. The employee double checked that we came separately, so we got different carts. Had a good time (apart from tagging a house with a drive) and we kept appropriate distance. Still buzzing from the beers. Really fun. A good mind break.

Cosmo and OscarMadison like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted