1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Mitt Romney marching/walking with a group of religiously motivated protestors today. Mitt's got some big flaws (his view of human nature is cynical even by sportswriter standards), but he has his own moral code and he's true to it.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Imagine the uproar if the fence had been painted like Our Flag.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not racism, at least in an overt way, but. ... a friend and I were just texting about something and I mentioned that there are no black owners in the NFL. He said that won't change in our lifetime, and I started to think about what black man or woman could buy an NFL team. So I looked to see who the black billionaires are ... and there are 12. Out of 2153 on the Forbes list. Just over half of one percent. You can add another 3, if you include bi-racial people. Of those 12, 4 of them are Oprah, Michael Jordan, Jay-Z and Kanye West. I knew it would be a small number, but the fact that it was that small? ... I had never thought about it much.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

While not close in terms of net worth of billionaires, there are only four black CEOs of Fortune 500 companies: Marvin Ellison of Lowe’s, Kenneth Frazier of Merck, Roger Ferguson of TIAA, and Jide Zeitlin of Tapestry. Ken Chenault ran AmEx for years, but he retired in 2018.

6. Michael_ Gee

The NFL would go crazy to let Oprah or Michael into the club. The other two not so much.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

With all of the NFL talk, kind of fortunate that we don’t have Jerry “Mister” Richardson around this time to opine

8. Michael_ Gee

Or Bob McNair.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

And that Trumpist Woody Johnson is serving a cushy ambassadorship and formally recused from the Jets.

10. Michael_ Gee

Do you think the Queen spits into one of her bejeweled gloves before she accepts Woody's hand? I sure hope so.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Woody’s brother has said the right things the past couple of years.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted