1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It's like fragging your bad L.T. in Nam. Another bad L.T. just plops down in his place.

The entire police culture is poisoned with the ideology of hate. The bad apples are deeply imbedded in the fabric. They're melded with the fabric, in fact.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The reason basically none of what you asked has been covered is because, if George Floyd had knowingly been passing $20 bills with Homie Da Clown on them, it would not have made any difference in the illegitimacy of Chauvin's use of force.

Floyd could have been (maybe was) guilty of everything Chauvin thought he was accused of and it would not exonerate Chauvin of the murder of George Floyd.

4. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

I understand the real story. I’m just asking about the background. I imagine it will eventually come out. The whole thing leading up to this was so weird.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

What was so weird?

White cop needlessly killing unarmed black man. End of story man.

THIS is why tens of millions in the US and the World are protesting. Because people like you continue to spend energy to “find out why?” When the answer is RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU, it’s blatant institutionalization of racism. White cops needlessly killing black men because instead of saying ENOUGH, “we are changing tactics, we are not killing anymore black men, people like you want to know if there really was a counterfeit bill involved and then use that to somehow exonerate Chauvin and then say “oh it was just one isolated incident, if there wasn’t a crime this wouldn’t have happened.

ENOUGH of this wasted energy. End the institutionalization of racism against black men.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Here is the thing about the George Floyd killing — it simply can’t be justified because saw the entire encounter from beginning to end. In other incidents, the killing wasn’t recorded or we only saw a piece of the recording so if we want to tell ourselves that there must be another reason besides brutality/racism, we can.

The real story is on video and there is no background which adds any context.

2muchcoffeeman and qtlaw like this.
  7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I suspect "Karen" will tumble below "Gertrude" and "Bertha" in popularity among baby girls born in 2020.

I Should Coco and OscarMadison like this.
  9. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

::cloistered, privileged, nasal white people whining::
    Yah, but we KNOW he was up to something. You don't get stopped by the pleese for being a boy scout, yannow? I'll bet he stole something when he was ten! He resisted instead of doing what he was tole to do! If he'd just been obeeeedient! It's awur dooty to dig up th' durt! He was a FELON! Aye..aye, aye don't CARE if he saved every little kid on the bubble in Hooostin! He wuz bad. He wuz BAD. He had it comin' Aye got my perfesshunal ethics ta' uphold to make sure we all know how BAD he wuz and he had it comin' cuz he was BAD!"
    ::end cloistered, privileged, nasal white people whining::

Dear God. I'm not sure if I was channeling Edie McClurg (who is the goddess and was/is(?) actually progressive) or Martin Freeman on Fargo.*

And "BAD" might be the newest dogwhistle that only white people can hear.
    Who's bad?

*Note to self: You're seven episodes in. Sack up and watch Bilbo Baggins turn into a douchebag and Billy Bob either get filled full of holes or walk into the sunset with the cashier from King Phoenix.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  10. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I agree with @Fred siegle that the whole situation is “weird” and interesting. I also do not think we can “fix” policing problems until we really, really know how things get to that point.

This is just my opinion.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Don't the details of Chauvin's past add context? I find that more interesting than anything we have learned about Floyd.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I can watch that gas station argument all day.

She took the open-handed bitch slap to her grill, and her response was, "OH. MY. GOD."

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall to hear how the story gets told when she gets home.

Draft saved Draft deleted