1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

It is all interesting, to me.

This is just my opinion.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think you need to look at police reform like we've looked at education reform. There have been some steps taken with charter schools. The follow through needs to be there though. What do police do when a suspect "resists?" They get more aggressive. Cops huff and puff, but the majority really love their jobs and enjoy feeling like they are contributing to society - I think it's up to the rank and file, pretty much reform or look for work elsewhere at this point.
    I'm really curious about how Minneapolis and St. Paul's forces compare, both with use of force, deaths in custody etc.

4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

But...b-b-b-b-but the Black guy's priors! And we gotta make all the snug, smug white people feel safe!

Until 2015, I was a turn the other cheek kind of person. I would have argued it solved nothing. Now? My blackened, desiccated, simulacra of a heart wrinkled and smoldered a little bit more watching that. It's my happy place today.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Really triggered a few people on FB by typing #AllLivesMatter in response to a #BlueLivesMatter post. Of course, it was in one of those neighborhood groups that attracts racists like the Death Star’s tractor beam, but still enjoyable.

TowelWaver likes this.
  6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

7. BitterYoungMatador2

8. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Someone suggested drug/steroid testing.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

*I'm not here to talk about the past.*

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

11. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I wish I could be optimistic but I fear the proposed police reform bill will be every bit as successful as last summer’s background checks bill after shootings in Dayton and El Paso

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. BitterYoungMatador2

They’re only doing this because they believe it will weaken labor unions and the AFL-CIO. The jokes on them since most police vote republican over the second amendment and the fact that most conservatives claim to be more law enforcement friendly than democrats.

HanSenSE and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted