1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't think the guy is scanning anything. Wasn't he trying to return a helmet? Or something?

2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

To be clear: I'm all for tearing down Confederate Monuments this very moment.

But there is a distinction between a Confederate Monument in a random town somewhere, and a Confederate Monument on a Battlefield marking an actual historical happening.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

This is fair and appropriate. Monuments on battlefields, explaining historical happenings, are very different from planting a stature of a Confederate soldier facing North in every courthouse square in Georgia.

cyclingwriter2 and Justin_Rice like this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Speaking of which. Photos below, Mayor of Birmingham on left, Mayor of Mobile on right.

6. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Historical markers are fine.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. Inky_Wretch

Of course he wasn't scanning anything with his phone. It's inarguable amongst the sane.

9. Inky_Wretch

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

For now.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Justin, I agree, but the military park statues aren't the ones that have people aggravated.

They are already memorialized there. You can also make the case a lot of our military bases are memorials to the CSA.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The most bemonumented and bestatued place in the United States is Gettysburg National Historical Park. Most of 'em, Union and Confederate alike, were put up by veterans of the conflict. That is different. So is a town's monument to its war dead. Every town in Massachusetts has one for its fallen in the War of the Rebellion and I assume most towns in Alabama, to a random southern state, do too. Putting up heroic statues of loser generals in your town or city center IS different in kind from those memorials.

Draft saved Draft deleted