1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Too many people take for granted that we need a police force to "protect " us or to preserve "law & order" but large, organized police forces as they exist today didn't always exist, and to the extent they grew in the US in the mid to late 1800s, they were pretty shitty organizations, concerned with maintaining the dominant political, social and economic interests. There is nothing inherrently noble about what cops do, and at their worst, they are an instrument of corruption and harassment. When they were first formed, they were picked by the political praty bosses or ward leaders, and were an instrument to allow one group of people to break the law (usually saloon owners who kept political power), while harassing opponents of the party in power. I'd argue that they are more sophisticated today, but not entirely different.

Maybe we want professional police forces, because it provides a public good that might not get paid for privately, but I wish people would remember that we are not an authoritarian country, and nobody should want a force of people given runaway and expanding authoritarian powers over us. I don't get why a segment of people are always so eager for that.

To the extent we do all chip in for policing, it shouldn't put us under the control of the organization we created, it should make them continually accountable to us (and paid for by us, working for us as we see fit). They should be doing as little, or as much, as we as citizens task them to do.

In my opinion, we should be tasking them to do as little as necessary to protect us from each other. They should be on a tight leash. When their power grows too unchecked, they act like any group that is given authority over others. As an organization, those powers make them susceptible to corruption, it makes them susceptible to being a tool of elected officials looking to maintain their power, and it can make them a terror to any group (racial, or otherwise) without the economic or social or political leverage to fight back against them when they are unchecked and out of control.

We have gone decades with public police forces gaining too much power over people's lives and not having nearly enough accountability to the people who should be tightly controlling them (not the other way around). When I saw that video in the tweet a page or two back of that loudmouth NYPD PBA blowhard, I wanted to tell him to STFU with his "seat at the table." He works for all of us. It should never have been in his purview to dictate what his job is to the rest of us. It's up to us to decide what we want his job to be. His people can decide if it's a career or job that they want to do, or they can go find other careers. If they choose to do the job, then him and his union should be free to negotiate their pay, and health and safety policies. But we have created what seems like an insane culture that is just backward to me. We don't work for the PBA. The PBA works for us, and their job needs to be what we collectively say it is, not the other way around.

swingline, qtlaw, TigerVols and 3 others like this.
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wow. I actually have to agree with Alma on this one. I don't see anything wrong with that clip. Reform does not have to be a negotiation with police officers. I don't have a problem with legislators forcing change upon them, but to do so without even talking with their representatives seems to be short-sighted at best.

That said, change has to happen whether police officers like it or not. Even if they were in the discussions, I doubt they would fully embrace it.

Edit: I just saw a longer version of the speech and part of it was definitely tone deaf. I still think it is fair to expect police to be part of the discussion of reform and I get why they are angry at being left out.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Every day that black people in Tulsa are not shot by police, they should consider themselves lucky, says a Tulsa police leader.

4. outofplace

That is like saying no police officer can take pride in their work and they can't be part of the discussion on reform of their own job. The latter was his primary point and it's not wrong. How do we get police officers to change if we lock them out of the conversation?

Of course, there is very good reason why police are being vilified and he should understand that. Telling police officers to shut the hell up and listen is one thing. Telling them they aren't even part of the discussion of reform is another.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

More “tone-deaf rant” than “tantrum.”

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When election officials can't do the main job they are supposed to do - run an election (seriously, some places it almost seems like elections "sneak up" on them) - people really should demand vote by mail.

9. outofplace

Complaining about the lack of respect is tone deaf, but is he wrong to say police officers should be part of the discussion on reform? I'm not saying it should be a negotiation, but should they be shut out entirely?

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Here’s what happened in Chicago when the police disappeared:

18 murders in 24 hours: Inside the most violent day in 60 years in Chicago

Perhaps, over time, such days would go away because communities managed such violence more effectively. But massive police reform - defunding it, allowing social workers, whatever - would be costly, in terms of lives lost, in the short term.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You are pointing to a 24 hour period in which mass demonstrations and protests in which thousands of people took to the streets, devolved into chaos, rioting, looting, and culminated with those shootings. What happened that day wasn't a function of the police "disappearing." The police disappearing was a function of that particular day.

Instead of looking at that outlier day as a barometer of policing in Chicago, look at Chicago on all the non-extraordinary days. There is a reason the city has an international reputation for crime. ... on all the days the police don't "disappear." There is a reason why the Chicago police themselves have a reputation for corruption and lord knows how many convictions that have had to have been vacated because of cops who made a habit of severe misconduct; things like planting evidence and lying.

FWIW, this is what happened when the Camden, NJ police disappeared. This New Jersey city disbanded its police department 7 years ago. Here's what happened next - CNN

It's a small city, but it was a very violent city, police corruption was out of control, and they remembered that the police work for the people, not the other way around. When the police force was proving not only useless, but harmful, they got rid of it and started from scratch .

12. outofplace

Former co-worker of George Floyd and Derek Chauvin claims they 'bumped heads' in the past

Now a former co-worker is claiming that Derek Chauvin and George Floyd did know one another when they worked security at the same night club. This certainly doesn't prove that there was some personal issue between the two, but it is at least possible.

That doesn't really change much. Chauvin murdered Floyd and it sure seems as if he thought he could get away with it because Floyd is black. That said, it is still worth finding out if there was a personal motive for the murder.

Draft saved Draft deleted