1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sure. But without the ranting and raving.

As somebody else said, cops get treated like blacks for a few days and this is how they react!?!

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Do you think the transition might be a little costly in the short term?

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's a fair point. I think the entire process could be handled better. It also should have been handled a very long time ago.

One of my concerns is the whole defund the police message. Th wording is poor. The message is unclear at best. It also hands Republicans the kind of boogeyman they desperately need to try to scare voters into supporting them in November. This is especially true for President Trump. (Sorry if that is going too deep into politics, but it is part of that discussion.)

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If and when Chauvin and the others are acquitted - we'll be doing this all over again.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Costly in what way?

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

If anything, I think it would strengthen the case for something higher than manslaughter / that oddly-worded murder charge Chauvin initially had hanging over his head.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'll be very curious to see what happens when/if the cops body camera tapes come out.
    What happened before the 8:46?

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

In increased crime in some places. In lives.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I reserve the right to change my mind but right now, based on what I've read and seen:

*I think Chauvin knew just before he arrived or soon after he arrived the driver who allegedly passed the counterfeit bill was Floyd. He likely won't admit that but I think he did.

*I think Floyd was in some sort of distress after being handcuffed that may have been related to whatever drugs he had in his system. How Floyd was acting when he allegedly passed the counterfeit bill may have played some role in why the clerks called in the situation in the first place.

*I think Chauvin quickly took the lead role with Floyd with a full intent to subdue him with the kneel choke and his lawyers may say he did so based on the way Floyd was acting. Other officers were too timid, cowardly or inexperienced to stop Chauvin.

* I think Chauvin killed Floyd because he kneeled on Floyd for so long Floyd didn't get enough oxygen to his brain/body.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

First, crime is what people choose to label and see as crime.

Second, I don't think that the kind of violent behavior in bad neighborhoods that you're talking about ebbs and flows on a how much authority a force of baboons with badges and guns is given to "keep the animals in line." It's laragely unprovable, but I'd guess those crime levels correlate much more with how people are doing socially and economically.

Right now, we are seeing social and economic turmoil, and it's hitting poor minorities harder than anyone else -- on both fronts. So we are likely to see an uptick in "crime," same way we saw a "crime" tsunami in the 70s and 80s in a lot of major cities, when the country was in a social and economic malaise.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I agree police need to be in the conversation. As pointed out by Inky, there's being a part of the conversation and there's what this guy did. The you don't respect me act is hollow when he wants us to ignore the reasons They aren't getting respect.

Police departments need reform and we need police to help with that. How much of their job can be done by social workers who respond first to diffuse rather than cops who escalate? How much will it help police if we have intervention programs that reach people before they reach crisis thus freeing them up to deal with actual threats to public safety? How much crime can be prevented if people had a place to seek help before they turn to police? An officer knows those things. And taking stuff off their plates is something police will welcome so they can do their jobs more effectively.

I don't mind a police voice, but that voice needs to understand my respect can't just be given because he's yelling at me to respect him.

12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I'm glad smeone else thought about that study.

You're right. It doesn't, because it would be a stretch to try to move the charges to premeditated murder.

The history might be interesting, but I still question the ethics of trying to pitch Floyd as some kind of agitator who somehow drove four police officers to kill him.

Draft saved Draft deleted