1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This story doesn't entirely answer the question but provides some helpful info:

Camden disbanded its police department and built a new one. Can others learn from it?

In 2011, state budget woes led to almost half the department’s approximately 400 officers being laid off under then-Gov. Chris Christie. A period of devastating crime followed, with the city of fewer than 80,000 people logging a record 67 homicides in 2012.

In other words, the layoffs led to more homicides. There were 52 in 2011, and 67 in 2012.

Here's a nugget about the funding in Camden:

The budget for the new police force, which like the old one depends heavily on state aid, ended up millions higher that first year than what the city had planned to spend, and it has continued to grow. Camden budgeted $68.45 million last year for police. Paterson, a North Jersey city with almost double Camden’s population, estimated its annual police costs at $44.72 million.

In other words, yeah, using this model costs money. A lot of it. The very opposite of defunding.

I'm for some of the techniques Camden uses. I'm for less guns being used. I'm for demilitarizing the police. But reform won't be cheap and there will be trade-offs.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I agree. That is one of the reasons I don't think we should just assume he wanted to kill a black guy and move on. I get that some people don't want to hear that right now, but the truth matters. It also might actually get that first-degree charge so many seem to want.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Couldn't homicides have gone up because the economic situation in the city / state was so bad that it required 400 police officers to be laid off? I would assume that the crime rate spikes anyway during economic downturns. A more relevant example would be if a major city *willingly* did a big downsizing of its police force in the past, for non-economic reasons. I doubt that's happened anywhere in the U.S. recently, which is why Camden is being brought up as the closest comparison point.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I agree with you. I'm not suggesting that at all. This isn't about Floyd's actions. It is about Chauvin's motivation. Perhaps he had caused issues between the two at the club. Perhaps he just didn't like Floyd. Hell, maybe he did show racism in previous dealings with Floyd. That is absolutely relevant.

OscarMadison and sgreenwell like this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yes. He makes these conclusions that fit the narrative he wants, rather than the reality. The point of what happened in Camden was that there was widespread corruption within the police force and it was a dangerous city. They disbanded the police force after the time period he created his narrative around, and it wasn't an economic decision, it was that the city officials decided what they had was beyond reform and they needed to completely scrap it. They formed the new force in 2o13. It is non-union and it has a community orientation and an anti-force stance. They essentially took back policing and made it accountable to the people, not the people accountable to what was a lawless goon squad. Camden is still a pretty dangerous place, but it's a better place than it was, and on top of the poverty there that is the real source of its problems, it doesn't have a widely corrupt terror organization making things worse under the guise of policing.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Do police union bosses really think the status quo is the way to go? Lawsuits, more deaths, civil unrest, more bad cops on the street, less accountability and transparency and taxpayers should just be okay with it as the price of doing business?

How Cities Offload the Cost of Police Brutality - CityLab

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Long, but interesting read

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I mean - sure. It's possible. The homicides had been going up in years prior. It was post-2008, so I suppose that's possible.

It's worth noting that the previous high for murders in Camden before 2012 was 1995. As the crime bill was kicking in.

I find it unlikely that everything but the economy is a coincidence. I find it odd that murders nationwide went up post-Ferguson. So in 2015, 2016 and 2017. Was the economy unusually bad at that moment?

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's not possible. It's incredibly probable. You are talking about the period of peak damage from the financial crisis. The unemployment rate got up close to double digits during that time period, and places like Camden were hit the worst.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, bull. I'm posting stories and taking hard data from journalism. Do whatever you want with them.

I'm not particularly pro-cop. I'm pro-reality, though. Which means, you know, there are trade-offs to enforcement decisions.

Draft saved Draft deleted